One | The Second Time

L A Y L A

"Mia...Layla!" A familiar name rang out in my ears, startling me so much that I almost spilled hot tea on the customer next to me. I quickly apologized and set down the tray, then turned to see who had called me.

There he was, standing by the entrance of the restaurant where I worked. A tall and handsome man with a smirk on his lips and a twinkle in his eyes. He looked like he had just stepped out of a magazine cover. But why did he know my name?

I felt a pang of recognition as I stared at his face. It was vaguely familiar as if I had seen him somewhere before. Somewhere very close.

He noticed my gaze and smiled wider, then started to walk towards me with an eager stride.

"Hi...Can I help you?" I asked the stranger politely.

"I'm James..." He looked at me expectantly, but his face fell when he saw my blank expression. "You don't remember?" he said, sounding hurt.

"Should I?" I said slowly. I felt uneasy under his intense gaze.

"James Carter. You and I... we used to..." He trailed off, looking unsure of himself.

"Used to what?" I asked, hoping he would make sense.

He looked like he wanted to say something more, but then he shook his head. "Never mind. I'm sorry. You must look like someone else I know very well."

I stared at him, puzzled. He was very handsome, but I had no idea who he was.

He said we used to... what? Date? That couldn't be right. Aunt Markle had told me that I never had a boyfriend before my accident.

"I'm sorry," he repeated, looking miserable. "I shouldn't have bothered you."

"So... do you want anything?" I asked, trying to sound professional.

"Ice latte with normal sugar," he said, his voice firm and commanding. He sounded rude and arrogant, but also strangely attractive. I could listen to him all day long. Who was this man, really? Was he a masterpiece of nature or magic?

"Anything else?" I asked, looking up from my order pad. His eyes met mine and held them. He was stunningly handsome, with dark chocolate hair, hazel eyes that pierced through me, and a sharp jawline.

He wore a black suit that fitted him perfectly, showing off his muscular physique. His voice was smooth and confident, with a hint of humor. He looked like someone who could make women feel heavenly with just a kiss. And I was not exaggerating. I had worked as a waitress in this fancy restaurant for years, and I had seen plenty of gorgeous and rich men. But none of them could compare to him.

Stop it, Layla. Stop daydreaming about a stranger you just met minutes ago.

How could someone who is physically fit enough to be the most sought-after bachelor in the world mistake me for someone who is "very close to him" when I just appear slightly above average?

Maybe last night, he knocked his head really hard and suffers brain damage. God, I hope not. It's gonna be a waste of handsome husbands if he goes crazy.

But, those hazel eyes and that lip. It looks so familiar. It's like I used to taste it with passion and pleasure. It's can't be, can it?

No, Markle said I never date anyone in my entire life even when I was in high school. All my friends all have boyfriends except me and I still remember those four years of misery bright as day.

"Mia... are you alright?" he asked, but I was too dazzled by him to answer.

"Yes... Ice latte, right?" I nodded, hoping he would not notice how flustered I was.

"When you're in there, don't forget to Google me," he said as I walked away. "It'll save you some awkwardness when you come back." He chuckled softly.

Google him? Who the hell does he think he is? A billionaire. Well, there's a slight chance that he is a billionaire. He looks nothing like one. His stupid smirky face and cocky attitude would never fly in a small business deals room, let alone boardroom meetings.

I resisted the urge to Google him until I reached the backroom. Then curiosity got the better of me.

James Carter

I typed his name into my phone and leaned against the wall. A thousand articles popped up on my screen. The first one was from the Forbes Billionaires list. Oh no, this was not good at all.

Didn't I just think he looks nothing like a Billionaire, and yet a minute later, I saw his name on the Forbes Billionaire list. Maybe...just maybe, it's someone else that has the same name as him and also happened to be a Billionaire.

I clicked the link and to my horror, I found his name and his cocky face listed just below Elon Musk, the world's richest man.

He's not just rich, he is stupidly rich. He can buy a whole country if he wants to with his enormous fortune.

I clicked the read more link under his name as I can't help myself but want to know more about this stranger. He was not only rich and handsome but also smart and successful. He started his company from scratch when he was only twenty-two years old. He had donated millions of dollars to various charities and he is single. I wonder if it is by choice or not.

"Layla, the coffee's ready?" Angie shouted from behind the counter.

I snapped out of my trance "Coming!" I say.

I quickly get myself back up and inhale one last deep breath before going back to face this stranger that somehow I felt connected to. I hope it doesn't become awkward like it did the last time and I fervently hope that I won't ever again be drawn to his hazel eyes and angular jawline.