Three | The Date

L A Y L A

So, the night I have to have dinner with a complete stranger finally came. I already changed into a white dress that I forcefully borrowed from my co-worker, Angie. I completely forgot that I have dinner with this so-called guy name James. God, I can not believe that I said yes to this nonscene.

As promised, the moment I step out of the shop after finishing closing for the day, there he is leaning against his black Mustang and constantly looking at his watch.

He was wearing a navy blue suit that fit him perfectly, accentuating his broad shoulders and slim waist. His white shirt was crisp and clean, and his tie was a subtle shade of silver that matched his eyes. His dark hair was neatly combed back, and his face was freshly shaved. He looked sophisticated and charming like he belonged in a magazine.

He smiled when he saw me, revealing perfect white teeth. He walked over to me and took my hand, making me feel a jolt of electricity.

"You look amazing." He said in a deep voice that made my heart flutter.

"Thank you," I said shyly, feeling myself blush.

He opened the car door for me and helped me get in. He got behind the wheel and started the engine. The car roared to life and we drove off into the night.

"I know I just said it before but I can't help but want to say it again, you look amazing tonight." He beams.

And I quickly blush before getting my composure back under control and mumbling, "Thanks" to him again.

He kept complimenting me on how I looked, how I smelled, how I sounded. He made me laugh with his witty jokes and stories. He seemed genuinely interested in me and what I had to say. He made me feel special and wanted. I started to relax and enjoy myself, thinking maybe this date wasn't such a bad idea after all.

We arrived at our destination soon enough. It was Nobu, Los Angeles, one of the most exclusive restaurants in town. The sign glowed with elegance and sophistication.

I gasped when I saw it.

"Wow." Was all I could say.

He grinned at me.

"I hope you like sushi." He said as he parked the car.

James's car screeched to a halt and I saw another car, a sleek black Range Rover, do the same beside us. Four burly men in black suits emerged from it, their hands resting on the holsters at their waists.

I felt a surge of panic and looked at James with wide eyes. He caught my expression and chuckled softly, flashing me a reassuring smile. "Relax, they're our bodyguards." He said casually.

"I thought this was supposed to be a low-key dinner for just the two of us." I muttered, feeling uneasy.

"So did I, but my board of directors insisted on keeping their youngest CEO safe. And they're paying for them, not me, so..." He shrugged and gave me another smirk as one of his bodyguards opened the door for us.

I stepped out of the car and glanced at the restaurant. It was empty. Where was everyone? Wasn't Nobu always crowded?

"Welcome back, Mr. Carter... Ms. Johnson. It's so good to have you back." A waitress greeted us with a warm smile that contrasted with my confusion.

It's so good to have me back???

What did she mean? I had never been to this neighborhood before, let alone this overpriced restaurant.

"I'm sorry, what did you just say?" I asked her politely, hoping she would explain herself.

"I...said..." The waitress stammered nervously. "It's good to have you back... I'm really sorry if I offended you, Ms. Johnson." She looked terrified and apologetic at the same time.

"No, no... it's okay. You didn't offend me. I'm just confused because I don't remember coming here before." I said quickly and then noticed James shifting uncomfortably beside me.

"I don't understand... You and Mr.Carter always come here every...." She started to say something else but James cut her off abruptly.

"Why don't we go in now? I'm hungry and it's getting cold out here." He said impatiently and ushered me inside with his arm around my waist.

As we entered the restaurant, I felt a chill run down my spine. The place was deserted except for a few staff members who looked at us with curiosity and fear. James led me to a table in the corner and pulled out a chair for me

He smiled at me as if nothing was wrong but I could see a hint of worry in his eyes. "Are you okay?" He asked softly, taking my hand across the table.

"Not really," I admitted honestly. "What's going on here, James? Why did that waitress say we always come here? And why is this place empty?"

"She must have mistaken you for some other gorgeous woman who dates rich and famous men... I can't blame her since you fit the description perfectly." He said with a playful wink that made me blush.

"And why is the place empty?" I know it is obvious that he book the whole restaurant but still, I want to ask him anyway just to make sure.

"The owner of this restaurant is a good friend of mine and since I just secured a big deal that benefited us both. This is his way of congratulating me." He said with a warm smile.

His eyes lingered on the menu before meeting mine with a tender expression. "You're curious about what I do for a living, aren't you?" He asked with a gentle laugh.

"I am, but I wanted to hear it from you," I said, setting down the menu and gazing at him fondly.

"It's an interesting story. I'll tell you all about it later... if you promise to agree to have dinner with me again." He said and reached for my hand to place our order.