Two | The Chance

L A Y L A

James leans back in his chair and smirks at me "So, did you google me yet?" he asks.

I roll my eyes at him. This man is so full of himself. He thinks he's some kind of celebrity just because he's a successful businessman.

"Yes, I did. But I still can not find anything that is related between me and you." I tell him with a straight face, the best I can muster at the moment while putting his hot coffee down on the table.

He frowns slightly. "What do you mean?"

I set his coffee down on the table and try to keep a straight face. "I mean, I don't know why you keep trying to flirt with me. I'm just a waitress."

He chuckles and shakes his head. "Mia...sorry...Layla, you're more than that. You're smart, funny, beautiful..."

"Stop it," I interrupt him. "You don't even know me. And if you still think I am the person you think I am, I am not."

"Why are so sure?" He says as his cocky grin grew wider. He reaches for my hand across the table, but before he can touch it, Angie shouts from behind the counter.

"Layla! Hold on! You got the wrong order!"

I turn around and see her holding another cup of coffee.

"What?" I say.

"That's not his coffee! That's a hot latte! He ordered an iced latte!"

She tosses me the right cup and I catch it clumsily.

"Sorry!" I say to James as I switch the cups.

But as I do so, I lose my balance and spill the hot coffee all over his suit.

"Ow! Ow! Ow!" Jame yelps, jumping up from his seat.

"Oh, my God! I'm so sorry!" I gasp, grabbing some napkins from the table.

I try to wipe his suit with them, but it only makes it worse.

He pushes me away gently and takes off his jacket.

"It's okay," he says through gritted teeth. "It's not your fault."

He looks at me with a mix of pain and amusement in his eyes.

"I am so sorry... I didn't mean it... Are you okay?" Fear scatted across my face as I quickly panic and rush back to the kitchen to get a cold towel.

"Where are you going?" He asks as I turn my heel around.

"To get something to clean for you. Wait here...please."

After getting back to him with a cold towel in my hand, he gently stands back up again to let me wash the mess I made on him aways. His big muscles and tall body towering over mine scare the hell out of me but I have to do it if I don't want to get fired.

"It's fine, Mia. It's not your fault." He says and tries to smile at me but I can tell he is not happy.

I feel a pang of guilt and confusion. Why did he keep calling me Mia? I looked at his face again, trying to remember anything about him. But nothing came to mind.

I start to feel as though someone is closely watching me as I delicately brush the cool towel against the fine fabric of his suit. I look up just to see him observing me with admiration in his eyes.

"The smell won't get off...aghhhh!" I growl under my breath and I can hear his chuckle above me.

"It's okay," He says gently. "Don't worry about it."

He reaches out his hand and touches mine lightly.

I flinch and quickly pull my hand away,

"This is the best I can do but if you still do not satisfy with it, I can get the suit dry clean for you," I tell him with hope in my eyes, wishing he agrees for me to just dry clean it for him and not demand me to buy a new for him because obviously, I will not be able to afford it.

"I have a better idea, why don't you let me take you out to dinner tonight or tomorrow, it's up to you?" He says with a smile. God, why does he looks so excited?

I immediately got lost in his words. What should I say? Am I dreaming? Did the world's second-richest person in the world just ask me out to dinner?

"What time do you get off today?" He asks again, his smile growing wider as his piercing hazel pair of eyes still locked onto mine.

"Ahhh...hmm" I shutter. I don't know what to respond.

I am speechless. Half of me wanted to say yes while the other half said it sound like a bad idea. It is too good to be real.

Not so long ago, while I scrolling on Face Book, I came across an article that talks about how a lot of Billionaires used their vast of among of money to lure in young girls, to exploit or have sex with them before dumping them out. If any of the girls want to retaliate against those billionaires, they will get slapped back with threats and the Billionaire's fancy lawyer show up at their house to silence them with money.

"I got off at nine," I say calmly. As far as I remember, this is the first time that I have had a man ask me out for dinner yet, I did not get the first time feeling at all. It's like someone had asked me out before but I do not remember. While frankly, I have no recollection of what happened to me one year before I got this stupid Amnesia.

Markle told me I got into an ice skating incident when I was in New York. The doctor told her that the incident caused serious damage to my head, especially my brain. The doctor also said I am extremely lucky that I only lost about six months to one year's worth of memories.

"So, I picked you up at nine, here tomorrow, is that alright with you?" He said, flashing a wide grin that seemed oddly familiar to me. He had a nice smile, I had to admit, and something about it tugged at my memory.

I nod, and his smile instantly grew another mile wider

Wait a minute, why did he look so familiar? Was there something Markle wasn't telling me? Was he some long-lost relative that she had mentioned once? No, that couldn't be it. He couldn't be related to me. Could he?

As he handed me his number, I caught a glimpse of something on his wrist.

A tattoo of a Yin symbol.

I quickly grabbed the piece of paper from his hand before making my way back to the backroom, shaking.

Once I was alone, I looked at my own wrist and there it was. A tattoo of a yang symbol. A matching pair of tattoos that symbolized harmony, balance, and unity.

A wave of emotions crashed over me. I felt angry, betrayed, sad, confused, and ... nostalgic. Feelings that I shouldn't have.

I had to find out more. I had to know who this man really was. I wanted to know what James Carter meant to me before I lost my memories.