Seven | The Options

L A Y L A

My stomach knotted as I stared out the window of the car. There was still a worried look in Angie's eyes as she gazed at me. I knew I couldn't face James on my own, so I begged Angie to come with me at the last minute.

It was madness to agree to James's proposal. He wanted me to be his wife for a year, and in return, he would use his power and contacts to clear my name from the lies that had destroyed my livelihood.

But it wasn't as simple as that. There was something sinister about his offer, something too good to be true. I didn't trust him one bit, but I also had no other option. I needed to escape from the nightmare I was in, to prove that I was innocent, and get my life back.

"Are you sure you want to do this?" Angie asked, glancing at me with concern.

I sighed. "No," I admitted. "But I don't see any other way."

Angie shook her head. "I don't like this guy at all," she said. "He's bad news."

"I know," I said.

"Then why are you going along with his plan?" Angie asked.

I looked at Angie with a sad smile. "Because I'm desperate," I said.

Shortly after, we arrived at James's mansion, a huge and imposing building that loomed over us. The driver parked the car right in front of the entrance of the enormous building.

"Are you ready?" Angie asked me.

I nodded, but I felt a surge of fear. I grabbed my bag and got out of the car. Angie followed me and we walked towards the front door.

A man in a suit approached and opened the door for us. He looked at us with a cold expression.

"Mr. Carter is expecting you," he said. "Please follow me."

He led us through a grand hallway filled with paintings and statues. As we make our way down the long corridor, I'm struck by the opulence of this place. Everything here screams money: the sleek design, the expensive materials, the flawless lighting. But there's something missing. Something warm and inviting. Something alive. This place feels like a museum, not a home. A place to admire, not to live in and I felt out of place and intimidated by the lavish surroundings.

We reached a large wooden door at the end of the hall. The man knocked on it and opened it slightly.

"Miss Johnson and Miss Jones are here, sir," he announced.

A voice from inside said, "Send them in."

The man gestured for us to enter. I took a deep breath and stepped into the room.

The room was dark and cold, with a fireplace, a sofa, a desk, and a large window being the only furniture in the room. James sits at his desk with his back to me, gazing out the window at the splendid garden that surrounds his mansion. I can't make out his face, only his silhouette.

He turn his chair around, stood up, and walked towards us. Even though I had seen him before yet his presence still captivated me. He is tall and handsome, with dark hair and piercing hazel eyes. He wore a tailored suit that fit him perfectly.

"I'm happy that you agree to come," he said. " Make yourselves comfortable."

He reached out his hand to me. I hesitated for a moment, then took it. He pulled me close to him and kissed me on the cheek.

He said softly. "Layla, darling, you look lovely today."

I felt a shiver run down my spine. I didn't like the way he touched me or called me darling. It felt wrong and fake.