Four | The Day After

L A Y L A

Last night was a blast. We had a good time and after I got home we exchanged each other a couple of texts before our conversation has to end because there was an urgent business that he has to go to.

James has a really interesting sense of humor and that's what I liked a lot about him.

Wait, did I just say I liked him a lot? Layla, don't you think this is a little too fast? Didn't you just break up with Jake a couple of weeks ago?

Yes, Jake Valentine. The rising star of the music industry. We broke up because I can't handle his new attitude toward me since one of his songs blow up and both his fame and money skyrocket. Jake changed a lot in a span of a couple of months. We dated for a couple of years, so even though I am the one who ask to break up with him, it still hurt, I still love him, the old Jack Valentine.

"How did you snag that guy?" Angie whispers in my ear as I stoop down to clear the dirty plates and wipe the table.

"Snag who?" I say, playing dumb. I know exactly who she means, but I don't want to rehash my encounter with him.

"Oh, come on, Layla. Don't be coy. You know who I'm talking about."

"Honestly, I don't know. He just came in, talk to me like he and I used to know each other and when noticed that I had no idea who he was he then take one closer at me before he tell me he had mistaken me for someone he was really closed with." I tell her as I pick up the last dishes from the table and turn around to head back into the kitchen.

Angie's eyes sparkled with mischief as she leaned closer to me. "So you met the second richest man in the world and he mistook you for his beloved? How intriguing." She whispered, her voice dripping with sarcasm.

I dump the dishes in the sink and grab a towel to dry my hands. I can feel Angie's eyes on me, waiting for more details.

"What?" I snap at her. "Don't you have tables to attend to?"

"Oh, relax, Layla. I'm just curious. Did he leave his number? Did he ask for yours? Did you enjoy the dinner?" She bombards me with questions.

"Yes, we exchange numbers, and yes and I enjoyed the dinner. He took me to Nobu so, of course, I love it." I replied curtly, hoping she would drop it.

"He took you to Nobu?...He into you then. Are you into him?" She teased, wiggling her eyebrows.

"Stop it, Angie. The only reason I went to dinner with him was because I spilled coffee on his suit and he said he would forgive me if I agreed to go out with him." I say and let out one big sigh.

"You seem really excited yesterday when I agreed to let you borrow my dress. I don't think this is a one-night stand, Layla." She gives me another playful smirk again.

"It was nothing. It's just a one-night stand, Angie. Now can we drop it?" I try to sound casual, but inside I'm still shaken by the encounter.

I feel a surge of anger and frustration at my co-worker's nosy questions. I don't want to admit it, but I can't stop thinking about him. His piercing hazel eyes, his charming smile, and his deep voice that sent shivers down my spine. He was so different from anyone I'd ever met. He was smart, funny, generous, and...dangerous. He had a power over me that I couldn't resist. He made me feel things I've never felt before.

How could he mistake me for someone else? He looked at me like he knew me as if he cared for me. And his voice...it was so familiar, so soothing. But I've never met him before in my life. Or have I?

But he's not for me. He's too rich, too famous, and too complicated. He has a whole world that I don't belong to. He probably has a girlfriend who looks like a supermodel and probably loves him more than I ever could. He's out of my league and out of my reach.