Fourteen | The Lie

L A Y L A

What am I doing here? My hand is trembling as I sit in front of a mirror in a dressing room of a private resort in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean, getting ready to marry a man I barely know.

I am really impressed so far on myself for not running out of here. But, no matter how much I hated this, this is the only way to get my normal life back.

Yes, today, this morning, I will be married to James Carter. I can't believe how time has flown so fast.

Today, I am a "soon-to-be the second richest man in the world wife".

I looked stunning in my wedding dress. It was a work of art made of silk and lace, with a snug bodice and a wide skirt. The neckline was shaped like a heart, highlighting my curves. The sleeves were transparent and long, with lace decorations that matched the ones on the skirt. The back of the dress was cut low, with a line of small buttons that went down to the waist. The skirt was made of layers of tulle and silk, creating a magical effect. The train was long and flowing, following me like a cloud. I wore a plain veil that hid my face, adding a hint of mystery and romance. I was the most beautiful bride he had ever seen.

My hairstyle is a half-up half-down style with a floral crown

"You're a vision. A dream. A masterpiece," Angie gushes over me as she puts the finishing touches on my make-up, which she kept simple and classy.

"James won't be able to take his eyes off you. He might even forget his lines when he sees you." But her words don't comfort me at all.

They only make me more anxious. Am I really going to marry that man today? I know that our marriage is a business deal between us, but it doesn't mean that I don't respect what it stands for.

I look at myself in the mirror and feel a pang of regret. I don't love James. I don't even know him that well. He's handsome, rich, and charming, but he's also cold, distant, and ruthless. He only proposed to me because he needed me as his wife to piss off his parents, especially his father, and to break up with his parent-planted fiance.

And I only accepted because I needed money a roof over my head and to clear my name from that baseless scandal. We're both using each other for our own benefit.

But is that enough to build a life together? What if we grow to hate each other? What if we fall in love with someone else? What if we end up hurting each other?

"Angie, I can't do this," I say in a shaky voice. "I can't marry James."

Angie looks at me with a mix of shock and concern. "What do you mean you can't marry James? You have to! The wedding is in an hour! Everyone is waiting for you! You can't back out now!"

I shake my head. "I'm sorry, Angie, but I can't go through with this. It's not fair to James or to me. We don't love each other. We don't even like each other. This marriage is a lie. A sham. A mistake."

Angie grabs my shoulders and tries to calm me down. "Listen to me, okay? You're just having cold feet. It's normal. Everyone gets nervous before their wedding day. But trust me, it will be fine. James is a good man. He'll treat you well. He'll give you everything you want. He'll make you happy."

I look into her eyes and see that she believes what she's saying. She's my best friend and she wants the best for me. But she doesn't understand. She doesn't know the real James. The one who's cold and distant and ruthless. The one who only cares about himself and his business. The one who doesn't have a heart.

"Angie, please," I beg her. "Don't make me do this. Help me get out of here. Help me escape."

"Layla, it's about time. Are you ready?" Henry walks, his voice was soft and gentle, but it only made me feel more anxious. I took another deep breath and turned to face him.

I'm having second thoughts. The guests are probably all waiting for me, and I'll be the laughingstock of the country if I back out of this wedding, which is supposed to be the event of the year.

"I can't... I can't." I shutter, as tears slowly fall down my cheeks.

Even if I manage to get to the altar, my legs will tremble so much—I'll fall and make a fool of myself. People will mock me endlessly—it will be on the news. Oh, no.

"Layla..." Henry looks pale as he sees me ready to call off my own wedding. He must feel like he's been hit by lightning on a sunny day.

The poor guy has been working with the planners to arrange the most spectacular wedding of the year, only to find that the bride is about to bolt.

I squeeze my hands into fists at my sides, my eyes starting to fill with tears. Angie comes over to me, while I see Henry quickly dialing someone.

"Layla," Angie says, holding my face in her hands and looking into my eyes with worry. "You can do this. It's gonna be okay. It's gonna be good. This is the best thing you've ever done to improve everything. To protect everything you've strived for all your life. To protect yourself from harm."

Yes, I know that I'm doing this to survive. It's just human nature to do so. But then, how can Angie say so when she was also one of the people who tried to dissuade me from this wedding from the very beginning?

Someone else walks into the room, making me glance at them with a jolt. My Aunt Markle is now standing by the door, holding a bouquet of flowers. She grins at me but then pauses when she sees the state I'm in and the trouble we're all facing.

I'm still quivering like a leaf in the wind. "I can't." Releasing a shaky breath, I shake my head in rejection, feeling tears sting my eyes. "I don't even think that I can reach the altar." My legs feel so weak like they're made of jelly and they're about to collapse any second."

Aunt Markle comes over to me with a gentle smile. "You don't have to walk down the aisle alone. I'll be right there with you."

Her words warm my heart. The plan was to walk down the aisle alone because both my parents were no longer with me. But then, even though Markle isn't related to me by blood, she is still someone precious to me. She's been by my side through the highs and lows of my life, supporting me along the way.

Honestly, I couldn't have asked for someone better, and I appreciate his effort to support me during this difficult time. Now, I regret underestimating the weight of my decision to get married. It isn't until right at this moment that I become paranoid.

I panic as I see James storming into the room. He looks livid, and I know he's here to confront me.

He must have found out that I was planning to leave him at the altar. He stops for a second as he sees me in my wedding dress, but then he resumes his angry stride.

What is he doing here? Doesn't he know it's bad luck to see the bride before the wedding? But then again, who cares about luck when your fiancée is about to ditch you? Oh, God. This is not good. I'm in deep shit, aren't I?

I back away as James marches towards me with determined steps. I can't wrap my head around the fact that he's here, in the bride's dressing room.

And I hate myself for noticing how good he looks in his groom's suit. What am I thinking? I wish I could erase these thoughts from my mind.

James stops right in front of me and growls, "I want everyone else to leave this room right now." No one moves, stunned by his intrusion.

James tightens his jaw. "I said now!" he roars.