𝟎𝟎𝟓. all i gave you is gone

˗ˏˋ andrea madden'ˎ˗

THERE IS SCREAMING coming from the screen of my computer. Juliette's body was heaving and turning in her thin blanket. Her hands wrapped themselves around her body for protection. She kept repeating the same phrase over and over again, "I am not insane." The crazed girl pulls the blanket closer to her body, attempting to destroy any form of evidence towards her fragile self.

I couldn't tear my eyes away from the scene.

"The screaming never stops, does it?" Kents – the soldier – voice springs up, eyes studying her intently. Juliette snaps her eyes to him, looking disturbed that he had witnessed her in such a state.

"No." She whispers with the faint color on her cheeks. You couldn't make it out on the screen, but when she looked up, you could stare at her directly.

I wanted to go downstairs and talk to her, figure her out, but I knew it would be impossible. It isn't in my power to have such a meeting. And I am sure if I had brought it up with Warner, he'd be quick to shut it down.

"Are you okay?" I hear Kent voice Juliette, who stares at him dumbfounded. She seems to be confused as to why he asked that, as if it were strange someone would care for her. I could feel my heart shatter into a million pieces by just staring at her expression.

I was normally the one to take sympathy for others and to regret things I previously did because I was worried for their feelings, but my father had programmed for years not to act on it. He told me he did not care what went on in my mind, but I mustn't actually act on it. Yet, standing here, staring at her face, I couldn't take it. I felt so disgusting for standing here while the girl was fifteen feet under me suffering.

I didn't know her story, and was painfully aware of what she was capable of, but that did not mean she deserved this. What if it was all a misunderstanding? I scoffed, the reestablishment is always twisting stories. I would not be surprised.

"You're not insane," Kent's voice cut through the mic. I scrunch my eyebrows at him. Although I too agreed with what he was saying, I thought he was supposed to make her feel stuck. Make her vulnerable. This wasn't that. Kent was odd anyway, I told myself. Since I began watching them last night he has stared at Juliette with such watchful eyes. He refused to leave her out of his sight. When the doors opened for their so-called showers, they stayed as close as they could.