1

——————-LAYA ROSÈ ——————-
|Setting| Back story
📍Largo Drive Apartment complex
Savannah, Georgia
10 years ago
Age 9
———————————————————

Growing up in Savannah was the worst, a small town sounds very nice and simple but in my hood, it wasn't anything but crime, prostitution, and drugs around me.

Attending elementary schools where they didn't care and let kids go wild as creepy men watched us, little girls and boys, from across the street.

I had to always walk home by myself at 9 years old leaving the boys and girls club where I mostly felt safe, an environment where all the kids would just play and color and the adults cared for our being.

___________
9 years old
___________

Holding both straps of my Dora backpack tightly as I speed walked with my head down following to my house off memory.

I walked past the woman explicitly taking exotic pictures of themselves sitting on the green generator box with their cool glitter rhinestone-cased phones I always admired.

As men surrounded each other in circles moving their hands back and forward as dice were released from their hands, all yelling and cursing at each other as money was being tossed around on the ground.

Making it to the back of the complex and seeing the kids from downstairs I couldn't stand, they always talked about me and said mean things to me for no reason.

Stepping onto the stairs and making my way up I stopped in my tracks looking back "FAT ASS ABOUT TO BREAK THE STEPS" I heard from the ugly boy with the silver caps in his mouth while the others laughed making farts and earthquake sounds making fun of my weight.

"AT LEAST MY MOMMA AIN'T CUT MY HAIR FOR BEING BAD IN SCHOOL GOT YOU LOOKING LIKE LIL BILL UGLY", I yelled clapping back as the crew he was with laughed he walked towards the stairs as kids followed making me step up the stairs a little more nervously. Knowing how these neighborhood kids are they will most likely try to get physical with me.

"BITCH I'LL GET MY COUSIN TO BEAT YO FAT ASS UP" he yelled angrily at me as everybody instigated the situation.

He then proceeded to run into his house getting whoever that I was not about to fight, I also quickly ran up the stairs trying to open the door knob to my house but it was locked, beating on the door and yelling for my mom or somebody to let me in.

"YOU SCARY" I heard some girl yell.

I began to panic hearing his cousin come out of the house already yelling in a manic state looking for whoever messed with her family.

"WHERE DIS HO AT? WHERE DIS  HO AT?" she kept on yelling looking around as everybody pointed at me, and turned around to see how big she was she had to be in high school or something.

I began crying as she started to run up the stairs I continued to beat and kick on the door praying for somebody to save me.

As soon as she was about to make it to me my momma's boyfriend Chris opened the door as I quickly pushed him out of the way barging in the door.

"LAYA FUCK WRONG WITH YOU AND WHY ALL THESE BAD ASS KIDS ON THE STEP? " he yelled at me as I ignored him trying to find my mom as he shook his head walking out the door.