Part 8. Slicing A Rock

You stroked Nezuko's hair and fanned 

 her a bit hoping it would ease the summer heat a little bit, even if Nezuko had been in a coma for two years and everyday you could feel Tanjiro's anxiety and fear hoping dearly Nezuko would be alright and hang on. Two years it has been, and everything was done to prepare you for the final champion selection. But there was an unsettling unhappiness and a sense of distraught when you mentioned it to Master Sarkonji. 

"Y/n Master Sarkonji told us he wants to take us somewhere and asked to call you." Tanjiro informed sliding open the door, after a moment of silence you got up. 

"Coming." You nodded and pushed yourself of the tatami mat. 

//////////////////////

The dense woods which followed had a thick blanket of mist which hugged the forest, the chilly winds blew past ruffling the thick bushes, and some leaves, the forest had a mystical feeling which warmly seeped through the marrow of your bones, which made your blood warmer and comforting even if people would conceive this weather as dull and unpleasant it gave you a warm comfort you had not felt in a while since Akira's passing. The mystery was like a walk in the dark woods never knowing what might happen during times like this. 

Time seemed to just fly during the silence since Master Urukadoki's footsteps halted his silhouette could be seen the only indication he was still there and he had paused as though lost in thought he continued walking, the mist cleared up when the clearing of the woods was met. 

"The final selection which will be  on Mount Fujiksane. And weather you both are eligible to go there or not will be decided by me." Sarkonji finally spoke, "If you can cut this boulder into half with your swords then you will be allowed." 

You walked closer touching the rock tied tightly by another rope, how could you slice such an heavy material? But that would be expected since a demon's neck would be just as strong as the rock maybe stronger. 

Sarkonji had left leaving two tied rocks left for you and Tanjiro to slash. 

And that was what happened for one and a half year a lot of your time simply closing your eyes and meditating and then work on your endurance but constant breathing was something that was going to help you, this one and a half year.

Urukodaki would watch you come home looking like you had been fighting demons all night only to later find out you would not move from the place you sat. Tanjiro to was working really hard day and night.

(It has been almost a year and a half now and day by day I work very hard, trying my best to hold on and cut the rock into two but, the rock would never budge making it look like it was growing stronger. 

I'm very afraid what if I get to late and I never slice the rock? Deep inside I'm afraid that one day I might wake up to find Nezuko dead. 

Y/n had been very kind to me and has met with different doctors from village to village even master Urukodaki tries his best to help but only to no avail. Nezuko only sleeps just sleeps it's very frightening at times.)

Tanjiro scribbled at his journal it was way past in to the silent night when he noticed you still had not returned from outside. Concerned he took his checkered haori and went outside in search of you. 

You swung your sword forward slicing the trees with a intense shock wave, 

"Don't loosen your breathing, I must steady my landing and hit harder until my breathing has improved to slice that rock." You told yourself.

The rock seemed to be cracking up but you had to slice it a demon's neck would be more harder and durable  you have to cut through. 

You fell down not giving in to your tears, I can't stop now I spent one and a half year tearing myself there is no way I'm giving up not until I avenge Akira.

You gathered your breathing, dropping to a calm quiet breath which eliminated the noises the slightest ones and all that was left was the rock your breath of water flowed through you without a shape without a thought you knew the rock would slice open. 

You brought down your katna a ringing shockwave exploded and when everything went back to normal your eyes widened the sword not only managed to break the rock it shattered under the impact till it was tint particles. 

I did that? You questioned yourself your sword almost falling of your grip but you stared at your achievement you broke out in smile. (So I'd did know what I was doing all that time!)

"I told you to slice the rock not break it apart." You turned yourself seeing your master emerge from the forest and walk towards you his tone was stern as usual but a little sadness was mixed with in his tone. 

You did not know how to reply to that remark, the rock was shattered and was the same as slicing up right? 

He came in front of you and put his hand above your head ruffling your hair, "You did well this past year and a half, you've understood my training and used it well and effectively trained making your breathing strong enough to completely shatter the rock your the first one to do so."

You smiled at the appreciation and in a moment of affection and uttermost joy you hugged your master, trying to sniffle your tears,

"Because of all your efforts master.... I have a chance to avenge my sister.... Thank you." 

Urukodaki sighed at your loss and put his arms around you. 

When you stepped back he was looking at you, you could not make out his expression behind the mask.

"The final selection happens in six months from now, you've done as I told you I'm no one to stop you." Urukodaki said. \

Dear Akira,

Tell me that one day all of our losses will end, and we can have a chance to see a world where we all will be together, and all that I have been through will lead me somewhere.