chapter 19

sobaniiruyo, nineteen.

❛ men are worthless ❜

"Who did you call over?"

Al-haitham stared at the door, confused by the sudden knocking that disrupted his reading time. He shut the book in his hands with a soft thud and shifted his focus to his roommate.

"No one important." Cyno answered, carding his fingers through his long ivory strands. "Keep reading."

"Is it Dehya?"

"No one important." He repeated.

The response piqued Al-haitham's intrigue. He stole eventual glances at his tensed face, trying to decipher why he was behaving like that without flaring a spark of suspicion within his chest. However, he wasn't able to, for the duration to study his conduct ran out. Cyno found himself rushing towards the door, pulling it open with ease.

"You're late."

"You're late!"

The familiar voice made Al-haitham sit upright in alarm. Every ounce of nonchalance vanished from his countenance, his green hues shooting towards the direction the muffled sounds were coming from.

"Get in."

Y/N stood frozen on the ground. "Inside? You're kidding."

"I need a moment."

"I am not enterin—"

Cyno cut her off with a tug at her shirt, dragging her inside. From his peripheral view, he spotted Al-haitham, his eyes following their every movement in evident surprise. His lips twitched at the corners as he struggled to tamp down the smile threatening to break out onto his visage.

"Y/N," He called out to her in a voice louder than normal, "Wait here."

She did not respond. All she could do was gawk at the grey-haired male, who reciprocated the action with more intensity. They were both equally startled to be in each other's presence.

"Good... good evening." Y/N finally managed to breathe out, her palms clasped into tight fists behind her back.

There was a faint nod of acknowledgement from Al-haitham's end. Her shoulders slumped at his tepid reaction, and he noticed it. He noticed everything her body language was trying to communicate. Right that second, he wanted to clarify that he was not trying to ignore her entirely— he wanted to say something. Anything.