1.4

If the plan was to hide, then the plan was now to run into battle and take back Winchester. This was something Y/N had not become accustomed to. She was accustomed to a poor life and walking for miles or hours without food, but killing, she was not going to do. She was quite happy to live her life on an adventure, as long as it meant taking no life. That was what she was currently used to at the moment, as she walked through the woods, carrying a bag filled with God knows what inside it.
"Stay... Stay away! I have skills!" A man shouted. Almost frightened by the group that walked towards him.
"Put that piece of tin away, boy," Leofric said as he walked past him, still carrying on down the path.
"Thank God... Your English... I thought you were one of them... what with the hair..." The man stuttered again. Trying to present himself amicably.
"Where is Ældermam Wulfhere?" Uhtred asked as he looked at him.
"Gone, Lord." That was all the man could say before he noticed the awkward silence. "I am Halig. I take care of the horses." Uhtred ignored him and asked the man named Halig where they all had gone, but he did not know. Halig even threw himself at King Alfred's feet, apologising for not knowing Wulfhere's whereabouts. Y/N looked at Hild, who shrugged, also not knowing what was going on.
"Our plan does not change. We go to Oddas estate." Uhtred said as he headed towards the horses.
"Child with me," Leofric called.
"I am not a child!" Y/N grumbled as she followed Leofric to a horse. Leofric quickly picked her up and threw her onto the horse before sliding in behind her.
"You are small. Annoying. And can barely grow hair. You are a child." Leofric said. A hint of amusement in his as he kicked the horse. I guess I am growing everything out then.

Once they reached a small quaint village, Iseult expressed there was an aura of pain that directed itself to Uhtred. Leofric kicked the horse and road beside Uhtred into the quiet village. Y/Ns hand reached itself towards her mouth as she gasped at the slaughtered villagers.
"Stay there," Leofric said as he climbed off the horse, following Uhtred. Y/N nodded, staying put on the horse as she waited for them. She looked over to see Iseult and the rest of them climbing off their horses to approach them. Y/N followed suit, trying to climb down herself, almost falling with a thud.
"Uhtred?" Father Beocca called, as he followed Uhtred around the corner. Y/N quickly followed to find Uhtred digging a grave up of an infant. His child? Y/N guessed from the way Uhtred cradled the infant that belonged to Uhtred. She did not know Uhtred had a son, nor a wife. Y/N stepped back ever so slightly, feeling as though she should not be a part of this scene. She did not know Uhtred's past, nor could she say any form of condolences. Instead, she walked inside the cottage towards a fire pit, placing some logs into the pit.
"Do you know how to make a fire?" Leofric asked, leaning against the door frame
"Are you going to show me?" Y/N answered back. Leofric moved beside her, giving her a piece of metal and stone, and showing her how to get a spark. Y/N mimicked his actions with a huff, but nothing seemed to work.
"Oh. Give it here." Leofric said, snatching it off of her and lit it for her.

That night, Y/N slept next to Leofric, her head resting against his shoulder, only to be woken up by Leofric shoving her head off of his shoulder.
"We're leaving. Get up!" Leofric said, making her grunt. Her eyes adjusted to her surroundings as she looked around her. A split of uncertainty filled her stomach before she remembered where she was. Still hope she was not stuck in the past.   
"Morning." Uhtred grumbled towards her, pulling her out of her thoughts. Y/N replied with a smile as she followed Leofric like a lost child, not knowing what to do without its parents.
"If I may speak... to you all."King Alfred said as he walked towards them. "Though we are yet to complete the first segment of our journey to Oddas estate, it is important we begin the second. Word of our army's gathering point must be despatched to the further reaches of our land. Brother Asser here will be my first messenger." The Lord King instructed before asking Halig to also be his messenger.
"And me, Lord," Hild said with a powerful look on her face.
"Lord, she is a woman?" Leofric stated. Before Y/N could retort with a  sexist comment, Hild proved she could be ad equal to any other horseman.
"The child will stick with me," Leofric grumbled as he pulled Y/N back with a look, pushing him towards his horse. Y/N rolled her sleeves up towards her shoulder, lifting her armpit, "Look I have hair!"
"Congratulations!" Leofric said sarcastically a smirk forming on his face. "You are officially a woman... to plough... or to wed..." Y/N huffed at Leofric in annoyance. Her eyebrows creased together in frustration as she lost her dignity again.