Prologue

Raindrops soaked your clothes and seeped into your skin as you sat next to a dumpster in an alleyway, legs pulled tightly to your chest and head resting on your knees as tears streamed down your face. How did you get here? Oh right, kicked out of your house at the oh so overdue age of four. You quietly cried to yourself as your thoughts began racing. I don't understand. Do I deserve this? Yeah, that must be it. I must have done something wrong. But what? You're snapped out of your train of thought as you realize you are no longer being soaked by the rain. "Hey human, are you okay?" a soft voice calls from in front of you.You look up to see what looks like a goat holding their hand out to you.

Link to the picture: https://share.icloud.com/photos/0cd7PCG-zjjkay0rgu-e5dcFQ

You stare at their face for a moment, studying their intent, before placing your hand in theirs. They lift you up off of the ground and repeat their previous question, "Are you okay?" You stare at the ground, staying silent. "Oh, you don't talk. Do you?" You shake your head as you look up at their face, noticing it being illuminated by a soft yellow glow. Out of curiosity, you crane your neck to look above you and notice a translucent yellow barrier shielding you from the rain. You scrunch your face in confusion. "Oh, you're wondering about the shield." They observe, "Well, you looked pretty wet from the rain, and I didn't know if I had permission to cast a dryness spell on you, so I used a shield spell instead since it's less invasive. I hope you don't mind." They pause looking back at you who was listening intently. "Sorry, I didn't mean to ramble." You smile at them, signaling that you don't mind. "So, do you have a name, human? Mine's Cody." You shake your head with a frown as Cody puts a finger to his chin. "Oh! How abou-" "Cody! Where are you! You better not have run off again!" a woman's voice echoes through the alley. "Coming Mom!" Cody yells in response. "How about Y/N?" He quickly whispers. You nod before Cody grabs your hand and hurriedly drags you to who you can only assume is his mother.

A tall goat woman looms over you and Cody with a scowl on her face. She also had a yellow shield over her head. "Cody, what is this?" She scrunches her nose. "This is Y/N. I found them alone in the alley. Oh, Mama can we please keep them?" Cody pleaded. "But it's a human." She spat the last word out like poison. "I promise they'll be good." You nod your head, agreeing to behave. "Well, I suppose we do need a maid, and it is cheaper than hiring one......Okay, but Cody, you have to water, feed, and clean up after it." Cody's mother finally agreed. It was not the best situation, but it was better than sitting in the rain. Cody's mom turned to one of the alley walls and made some kind of hand gesture. A portal to another world opened before you and the three of you walked through, Cody still holding your hand.

Hey, this is my first fanfic, so there are most likely many errors. I apologize for making you use a link. Wattpad won't let me use pictures. I know this chapter is very short. That was just for pacing purposes. Not all the chapters will be like this. Anyways, thanks for reading. I hope you enjoyed it! See you next chapter!

(599 Words)