Chapter 31: Chance

Naupo muna ako sa lounge dahil masakit na din ang paa ko kakalakad. Nandito si Nicka at mukhang marami rin siyang pasyente ngayong araw.

"It's so toxic pala here in the Pedia Ward!" reklamo niya. Magulo na ang buhok niya at mukhang pagod na pagod na din siya.

Tinawanan ko na lang siya at nahiga ako sa sofa dahil ang sakit na din ng likod ko. "Ganyan talaga ang buhay doktor Nicka! Kaya natin to!" pagkasabi ko nun ay pumasok sa lounge si Kai at Lucas.

Mukhang seryoso ang pinag-uusapan nila. Naupo sila sa tabing table at hindi nila ako napansin sa sofa.

"Red called me, Bro." Kai said.

"Why the hell would he call you?" Lucas asked.

"He told me about Dr. Caslen. She desperately wants to get back to you, she contacted your brother." Kai explained.

"She is already living with her new boyfriend now. She just dated me because she wants to have her internship in this hospital. It was all an act." Lucas said.

"Wow, that's news to me. Pero, bakit habol pa rin siya ng habol sayo?" Kai asked.

"Her strict, controlling father wants me to marry her." Lucas simply said.

"That explains how sweet you talk with her when you're in the phone with her." Kai said.

"Her father listens to every phone call she had with me." Lucas said.

"That's crazy, bro!" Kai said at tumawa siya ng malakas.

All this time, their relationship was all an act.

"Code blue! Code blue!" sigaw ng isang nurse.

Mabilis akong tumayo at nagulat sila sa akin dahil nandun pala ako kanina pa.

"Let's go, it's Nyla!" malakas na sabi ni Nicka.

Tumakbo ako papunta sa room and there are already 3 doctors reviving her. Everyone was there, everyone was doing everything to save Nyla.

"Pulse is weak!"

Habang pinapanood ko sila, dumating si Lucas sa tabi ko. Kahit hindi niya sabihin, his actions shows that he is scared to death right now. He is just looking at Nyla. Slowly, I reached his shaking hands to calm him down.

"It's gonna be okay." I whispered as I held his hands. His hands are so cold. I tightened my grip and he also did.

Seconds passed, as if the world stopped turning. The beeping sound of the monitor and cries of Nyla's parents filled the room...

-----√\___________________

"Time of death, 5:18 pm."

Lucas looked at me and I saw a tear fell from his eyes. At kasabay ng pagluha ko ay ang pagyakap ko sa kanya ng mahigpit. I felt his weight shifting to me and hugged me tightly, he just leaned on me for comfort.

"Nyla is now an angel." I said while tapping his back. "She's now free from pain. She now became a beautiful angel." I whispered.

• • •

"Bro, kumain ka na ba?" Kai asked Lucas na nakaupo sa isang swivel chair. He still can't believe that he lost a patient. To him, Nyla is more than just a patient. She became her little sister. I understand how painful it is for him.