Chapter 2 - The Shuttle Explosion: The Beginning of a New Life:

I wake up to my head throbbing from the shuttle explosion. I open my eyes and try to adjust my eyes to my surroundings. I gasp in surprise when I notice that I'm lying on the metal ground of the shuttle, the top of the shuttle has been completely blown off, revealing the sky of the earth. I prop myself up and look around at my surroundings like a total forest.

All around me is scattered wreckage and broken limbs and parts of bodies.

My body trembles uncontrollably as I stand up. My knees bend inward, and I am instantly thrown backward by the impact of falling debris. In an attempt to save myself, I cover my face with my arms just as another part of the ship shatters behind me. I manage to shield my face somewhat with my arms when I finally regain some of my composure and my balance. I stand up slowly, using every ounce of strength I possess. I stagger forward with my hand still covering my face. When I reach a small clearing in the forest, I collapse into the dirt and heave.

Suddenly, I feel someone pick me up. I open my eyes and see Elijah, and all around him is a camp made by the other survivors of the shuttle crash in the clearing. Elijah helps carry me into the middle of the tent they've made, while others place me on a pile of blankets. Once I have taken a nap and feel well-rested, I exit the tent and walk toward an area where everyone is gathered.

Everyone is sitting around a fire that must've been lit by someone, although everyone's faces are dirty. I find a nice-looking log by a pond, and sit down on it, reasonably far away from everyone else. I just want to be alone right now. Elijah brings food to me, at least it looks like food. I force myself to down the food, even though it tastes disgusting. Elijah sits next to me awkwardly in silence. I look over to where the rest of the 100 teenagers are sitting, and I see Alex walking toward us. I see her eyes scan over both of us and land on Elijah.

"Hello Katherine, how are you?" she asks politely.

"I'm fine, thanks to Elijah's caring care, I was able to survive," I say with a smile, trying not to show my discomfort at talking about myself.

She looks at Elijah with love-filled eyes. "You're very kind, Elijah," She says, kissing his cheek. Elijah smiles, obviously embarrassed, but I know he enjoys it, so I pretend not to care.

I focus my attention back on Alex.

Alex looks back at me and continues. "Did you enjoy your ride on the shuttle?"

"Yes." I sarcastically respond.

Alex laughs. "Me too," She says.

"So what happened after the shuttle exploded?" I ask casually, trying to act cool, but also feeling very awkward.

"We tried to communicate with the space station," Alex says looking at Elijah and me, "but we couldn't find a signal, the shuttle must've malfunctioned. I bet everyone on the space station thinks we're dead. The last thing I heard before crashing onto earth was the alarms going off and people screaming, then our communicator must've died." She pauses, "We need to urgently let the space station know that the majority of the 100 teenagers survived the trip to earth from the space station, and that earth is safe to live in again," she says seriously, I nod and smile reassuringly at her.

I hear footsteps approaching, I look up and see Cole and Zoe coming toward me. I quickly look down and begin twisting my fingers nervously. Suddenly, Cole stops right in front of me. I tense up at the sudden closeness.

Cole places his hand gently on my shoulder.

"Are you okay?" he whispers.

I nod silently and continue fidgeting nervously with my fingers. Cole smiles and squeezes my shoulder.