Chapter 7

We make our way through the woods, following the sound of birds chirping and running through the grass. Bellamy's long legs easily keep pace with mine, making me feel quite dizzy. He must have noticed my struggle because he slows down, allowing me to walk on my own. Once we reach a good spot to start tracking for deer, Bellamy stops in his tracks and grabs my hand.

"Hold on, I just wanna make sure no one's watching," he murmurs under his breath.

The forest looks normal enough. It's still early enough in the day, so no one should be out yet. I think to myself, it must be safe to continue walking without concern.

I'm about to open my mouth and tell him that we're fine when I hear footsteps echoing through the woods. I hold my breath, waiting patiently until they grow louder. Bellamy's grip on my hand tightens, which I guess means he heard too. Multiple footsteps are coming closer and closer. I glance over at Bellamy, hoping he knows what to do since I seem incapable of taking care of myself. His face shows nothing but determination and resolve as he continues to stare into the woods. He quietly moves us into a bush, attempting to hide from whoever is there.

The footsteps stop right outside of the bush that we are currently hiding in. A low growl escapes Bellamy's throat.

Three men are standing there, each one armed with a large crossbow.

The one closest to me raises his crossbow toward my chest, while the other two aim their weapons at Bellamy and me.

My eyes widen and I gasp quietly. The man pointing his crossbow at me aims it at my heart. I swallow thickly, my pulse racing in my ears. I shut my eyes tightly and squeeze them shut. This isn't happening. Not again. Please let this not happen again.

"Walk out of the bush right now, Hands on your head!" The man who pointed the crossbow at my heart orders.

His finger keeps tightening on the trigger of his crossbow. The man with the shorter hair, I assume is the leader, is pacing backward and forward in front of us, eyeing Bellamy and me as we make our way slowly through the bushes.

I take slow steps out of the bush, and Bellamy follows suit behind me.

"Drop the hunting rifle," the leader commands.

My heart pounds rapidly in my chest, threatening to burst right out of it as I try to keep my breathing steady. The crossbowman points his weapon at me.

"Come any closer and I'll shoot," he threatens.

I keep my gaze glued to the ground as I pick up the heavy, old-looking gun with shaking fingers. I carefully set it on the ground beside me. I don't dare move an inch.

"Now come over here to these men and hand over your knife," he demands with authority.

I hesitantly bring my eyes up to meet his, "why?"

"Just do it!" He snaps impatiently.

I watch as Bellamy steps forward. He pulls the knife out of his boot and cautiously makes his way toward the men. He walks slowly towards them until he is mere inches away from them.

"Keep the knife in your hand and hand it to me," the leader orders.

Bellamy stares at the man with narrowed eyes, refusing to give him the knife he wants. As he stares at him for several moments, I can see the anger starting to build up inside Bellamy. I decide to step in between him and the men, scared that Bellamy will get himself killed.

"Please, don't kill him," I beg in a quiet, broken voice.

Bellamy's expression softens immediately and his eyes narrow at me, and he reluctantly drops the knife in his hand, handing it over to the leader.