Chapter 6

The sky is pitch black, and we have been walking for hours now. Lexa, Bellamy, Cole, and Zoe are in front of the group, leading us on.

The only light in the dark forest comes from the moon shining overhead and torches burning everywhere. Thankfully, we haven't seen any earth people since we started walking, nor have we heard a single sound throughout the entire trip.

Elijah is slowing down, he's been carrying me for the entire hours that we have been walking, but he isn't leaving me behind. My head rests comfortably on his shoulder, I try to keep myself awake, I can feel a fever coming.

Lexa and Bellamy continue walking ahead, talking in hushed voices.

"I think there's a cave up there," Bellamy yells to the group from ahead.

"Well, let's go and find out!!" I hear Cole exclaim.

Bellamy leads the group toward a cave entrance and cautiously enters it. The rest of the group follows him, and we enter the cave. Elijah and I are the last to enter, he carries me in carefully. I see that everyone is huddled in small groups, and talking in hushed voices.

"We will stay here for the night," Lexa commands. "The grounders can't travel through the mountain, the cave system will protect us from them,"

The groups of people make themselves comfortable on the cave ground, some making jokes about how scary the cave was and others asking questions about the grounders.

I spot Logan, Zoe, and Bellamy sitting in a corner, and I gesture for Elijah to head over to them. Once we reach them, Elijah carefully rests me down on the ground, sitting me down on one of the smaller rocks that litter the cave floor.

"How are you doing, Kat?" Logan asks quietly, his voice laced with concern. I give him a weak smile.

"Not good. My legs are killing me, and I'm tired, and I just want my bed," I whisper.

My fever starts to get worse, and I feel as if I'm about to pass out. My body slips to the ground with a loud thud, I can't keep myself awake anymore.

"Kat?" Someone says shaking my shoulders.

"Katie, wake up!" Someone else says, their voice is ridden with worry.

My vision is blurry, and I can barely register who is talking to me, but I manage to make out their faces, and I recognize them instantly.

It's Logan and Elijah. I attempt to speak, but everything gets caught in my throat, and I choke on it causing me to cough uncontrollably. My head feels as if it is on fire.

"What's happening? Is she okay?" I hear somebody ask above me.

Before I can stop myself, I throw up all of the food that I ate earlier that day. The person helping me pulls a wet towel out of nowhere and wipes my mouth. After I'm done throwing up, my stomach begins to hurt more than before and I feel the bile rising up in my throat again. I try to open my eyes, but they just burn.

"I'll go get water for her.", I hear Elijah's voice say, then footsteps fade from hearing distance away.

The pain in my head gets unbearable and I start crying, "it hurts," I whimper.

I feel hands touch my forehead, "she's burning up! What happened?! Where did the medicine go?!" Somebody yells frantically.

I can hear running footsteps in the distance approaching us and I hear another set of heavy footsteps right behind me.

"She's burning up, her wounds must have gotten infected!" It's Lexa's voice.

"How bad?" Another voice asks, and that's definitely not Lexa. It's Logan.