Chapter 8

My eyelashes flutter open, and I realize I am in Elijah's arms once again, and I instantly snuggle closer into his chest, inhaling his comforting cologne. I sigh contently and listen to his heartbeat, matching its rhythm perfectly to mine.

We stay like this for a few moments longer, before Elijah speaks.

"Katie," he whispers, placing his hand against the side of my face and stroking my cheek with his thumb.

I groan in response and tighten my arms around his waist. I bury my face farther into his chest and hug him tightly. I suddenly hear rustling coming from somewhere around me. I open my eyes again and look around.

The entire camp is already awake inside the cave, and they have already packed up all their things. I notice in embarrassment that they are waiting for me to wake up before we continue our journey to the mountain.

"I made them wait for you to wake up, I know you've had a rough couple of nights," Lexa smiles at me.

"No, you didn't have to," I mumble, sitting up and hugging her tight, causing her to laugh loudly.

"Are you hungry? Want something to eat?" Elijah offers.

"I wouldn't mind a glass of water. I'm really thirsty," I smile gratefully.

A few minutes later, Lexa hands me a cup full of clear liquid.

"Is this tea?" I question, sniffing it delicately.

"Yup. It has a calming effect, trust me. It'll help keep you calm when you're feeling stressed out. I also made sure that the rest of your bandages have dried," She adds.

She hands me another cup filled with steaming hot water, and I take a sip slowly.

The sun is beginning to shine brighter outside the cave now, which means that it's time to begin our trek to the mountain. I stand and look around, taking my bag from Elijah and following the others outside. My leg and ribs are starting to feel a lot better, Lexa must've changed my bandages while I was asleep again.

I see a group of boys gathered at the front of the group, all carrying guns.

I find Bellamy -who's bruises and cuts are also looking better- amongst them and ask "why are there boys with guns at the front of our trekking line?"

"They're protecting us, Katie," Bellamy replies.

I nod, they must be extra wary of grounders after their attack on Bellamy and me yesterday. I'm not surprised to learn that they're still on edge about Grounders.

Suddenly, the wind blows strongly against my skin, making me shiver. It's so cold. The chilly air causes my teeth to chatter and makes my hair stick to my forehead due to the sudden breeze.

"Hey, let's get going," Bellamy yells over the breeze.

Lexa hands each of us another pack of food and water bottles.

Once everyone is settled down, we begin walking. My shoulder aches slightly from holding my heavy backpack.

Zoe and Cole walk next to me, laughing to each other and telling stories. They hold hands and

I notice Elijah in the front of the line with Bellamy and Lexa, after all, he is still one of the leaders.

"Hey, Katie, let me take that for you," I turn my head around and see Logan approaching me with a small smile on his face.

I nod and place my pack on his back.

"How're you feeling? Are you ready for today?" Logan asks, wrapping his arm around my shoulder.