Visitors

Grian stared at the two figures, still trying to figure out what was happening. He glanced at Scar, be he looked to be just as, if not more, confused as Grian.

The man, Link apparently, slid his sword into a sheath on his back, then slung his shield over his shoulder to rest over the sheath.

"What-" Grian stuttered, "Who- who are you? What are you doing here?"

The woman stepped forward, hands held out to either side of her.

"We mean you no harm," she replied. "My name is Zelda, and this is Link." She gestured as she spoke. Link stepped back, next to Zelda, though he continued to eye the two Hermits. While he didn't appear hostile, he wasn't relaxed either.

"We came through some sort of, rift I guess you'd call it?" Zelda continued. "We entered it, and arrived here. We didn't mean to startle you, we didn't know you were here."

Hearing this, Grian and Scar began to relax. Something about how this woman talked was calming.

"I guess that makes sense," Grian replied, slowly. "I don't really know how the Rift works, but it doesn't seem surprising."

Zelda smiled, relaxing, "Well, now that that's sorted, would you be so kind as to introduce yourselves?"

"Oh right! Sorry," Grian apologized. "I'm Grian, and this is Scar." He gestured to Scar, who put his bow away, smiling pleasantly.

"Nice to meet you," Zelda said, while Link nodded at each of them. He appeared to be a quiet person, as he hadn't made a sound since his initial shout.

Zelda looked around at the cave, "Now, could you perhaps explain where we are?"

"Well, this is the underside of my base," Grian explained. "Though, in not sure how to get you out."

"Shouldn't be a problem," Link muttered, studying the walls.

Zelda furrowed her brow, thinking. "Yes, while that's all well and good, could you tell us what kingdom this is?"

"Well, this is Hermitcraft," Grian replied, "but I'm not to keen on the 'kingdom' bit."

Zelda's eyes glazed over, seemingly thinking hard. As Grian watched, she began muttering to herself. "Hermitcraft... could that?... No... But maybe..." She looked at Grian, "How long has your kingdom existed?"

Grian shrugged, "We've only been a kingdom for a couple of weeks actually. And with what Ren's doing, we might not be one for much longer. But Hermitcraft has existed for a long while now."

That seemed to satisfy Zelda, as she went back to muttering. Link however, was still studying the cave. He pulled out a device that looked like a simplified version what Zelda had on her hip. He used it to snap a picture of some of the flowers that had creeped down from the surface.

That's curious, Grian thought. Why would someone who is so obviously a warrior be interested in flowers?

Zelda eventually came out of her trance, "I don't believe that I've heard of any references to Hermitcraft."

"Why would you? This is an inter-dimensional rift. It makes sense that you would have no knowledge of the other side."

"We can't know that."

Grian thumbed over his shoulder, "Where do you think he came from?"

Zelda's eyes followed where he pointed, then widened as she stumbled back in shock. Link leapt to his feet, but similarly froze when he saw what she was looking at.

Grian couldn't blame them. He turned as well, facing the super-intelligent AI know as Grumbot.

Grumbot loomed over the small group. Standing at 30 feet tall, his square-shaped head took up the entirety of the wall opposite the Rift. His face shimmered, being made entirely of skulk, with his large mustache taking up the majority of his face. His expressionless eyes somehow projected a cold, calculating air.

"Grumbot was the first thing to come through the Rift," Grian explained. "My friend Mumbo and I made him in a previous iteration of Hermitcraft. We like to reset every so often to keep things interesting. Grumbot was made in the seventh iteration."

Zelda stepped forward tentatively, seemingly both terrified and maddeningly curious. Link crouched, as if ready for a fight.

"We left him behind, deactivated when we moved on to the next iteration," Grian continued. "But when the Rift formed, he came through. But he isn't the same Grumbot. He has confirmed that he is from a parallel version of iteration seven."

"Is- he alive?" Zelda inquired, her voice soft.

"Alive as you and me."

Zelda let out a soft breath of awe, "I'd always assumed it was impossible, for a machine to not only simulate life, but to be alive. Or if it was, it was a thing of the goddess, not us."

Link let out a gasp, "If you created this, then maybe you can help Fi!"