Chapter 6

-Chloe's Pov-

-Chloe's Pov-

Jasper helped me balance-walk across an enormous fallen pine tree in the moss-covered forest

Jasper helped me balance-walk across an enormous fallen pine tree in the moss-covered forest. Edward and Bella were with us. "How long have you been like this?" I asked.

"Since nineteen-eighteen. That's when Carlisle found me," Edward replied as we walked. I nodded. "I arrived with Alice and Raymond a few decades ago," Jasper replied.

"Where'd he find you?" Bella asked. "In a hospital, dying of Spanish influenza," Edward replied. "My parents had already died." "What was it like?" I asked.

"The word excruciating comes to mind," Jasper answered. "But what Carlisle did was much harder... not many of us have the restraint to do that," Edward added.

"Didn't he just... bite?" Bella asked.

"Not just. Our bite contains venom," Jasper replied. "And once we taste blood, a sort of... frenzy begins. It's almost impossible to stop." "But Carlisle did," I added.

"First with us," Edward replied. "then with his wife, Esme. He found her in a hospital, as well. Rosalie joined us. Later she found Emmett." "Does someone have to be dying to become like you?" I asked.

We walked along a stunning coastline, rugged black rocks, covered in bright green moss.

"....No, that's just Carlisle. He would never do... this, to someone who had another choice," Jasper explained. "So Carlisle's the reason why you hunt animals, instead of people," I concluded. "Don't eat me.

They laughed at me

"Not the only reason," Jasper said as he looked at me with love in his eyes. "I don't want to be a monster." "You're never a monster, at least not to me," I smiled at him.

"We call ourselves vegetarians, by the way...," Edward explained. "For our kind, hunting animals is like living on tofu. It keeps you strong but isn't very satisfying." Then abruptly, Jasper whipped past me. I turned to see him standing on a large rock in the river.

"Show off," I scoffed as Bella and Edward snickered at me. "He's your show off," Bella joked.

Jasper came back to me. "It's not that impressive, really," Jasper spoke up. "Anyone in my family can do this." "Can they all read minds, too?" Bella asked. "No, that's unique to me. But Alice can see the future," Edward replied.