Ice Heart pt 5 🦝

Hey!!! Finally done with the short little story! Hope you liked it!

POV Thea

"I'll be right here. I won't let her touch you. It's almost over" Lexa whispers to me as we get to the double doors leading into the dining hall. I smile at her and give her a gentle kiss and squeeze her hand I was holding "I know. It's almost over" I say and she then squeezes my hand and nods at the guards to open the doors. When the doors open everyone stands but mother and her guards. My eyes find hers and she glares at me making me tighten my hold on Lexa's hand. Lexa moves a bit behind me  taking her hand out of mine and placing it on my lower back guiding me to our seats. She pulls out my chair and brushes her hand over my shoulders then sits down next to me. The crowd muttered a mix of Heda, commander and surprisingly princess for me. "Finally, you both took forever" Nia says making me roll my eyes. I catch her hard stare but I just smirk at her making her red with anger. Guess I'm already succeeding with pissing her off. It's a talent really. "Heda, princess... Some of the people of polis made their best food for tonight." Gustus says as he stands behind us. I smile up at him and nod. "Oh, they didn't have to do that. Could you tell me who, so I can thank them after?" I ask him and he nods giving a very small smile which is the first I've seen on him, making me internally cheer. "Thank you Gustus" Lexa says and grabs my hand under the table making me smile softly at her. "It won't be as good as Azgeda food" Mother says making me snort this time. "Was there something funny about that dear" she emphasizes the dear. "Oh, no sorry. It's just from what I remember it was stale hard bread and ice for water." I quip making her narrow her eyes. "But don't worry, it's a staple piece of the great Azgeda. What people come for really" I say offhandedly looking at her from the corner of my eyes and smile a bit from the reaction I get. "You're just full of jokes aren't you?" She says trying to sound lightly but fails. "I've got more if you want to hear them?" I say smirking. I hear a growl come from her and sit back happy with my part.

We have light conversation as we eat the delicious food. Nia keeps quiet for the most part probably planning our murders which she thinks will happen tonight. Jokes on her. I was actually enjoying myself when my mother wasn't making comments or talking in general, but I know it's nearing the end. I see Anya walk in and she walks up to us both bending slightly between Lexa and I to whisper in our ears. "It's done. Everything is ready." She says, and my hands find the vial in my pocket. There's still so much I want to say. To know. I know it won't make me feel better knowing her reasons for everything but I do love my mother. I hate her, yes. But I can't help but love her too. The old mother when I was young. That's who I love. Anya leaves and Lexa rubs my hand to bring me some comfort. I look at my mother and she raises a brow. "I just wanted to thank you" I say and her eyes widen I surprise. "For what?" She asks slowly. "Oh, you know. Slaving me out to the bad commander" I say and her eyes go back to her narrowed state, jaw clenched. "I think you got a few details wrong about her but overall. Spot on mother. She's awful. I mean, she actually listens to her people. Who does that?" I say sarcastically and I can practically see the steam coming from her ears. I see Lexa out of the corner of my eye trying to suppress a laugh making me smirk a bit. "I could just go on and on about how much I love... Oh sorry, loath her. She just... Ugh I can't even find a word" I say waving my hand. "I would stop talking if I were you" mother seethes. "Why? Afraid it'll ruin the alliance you sold me for? It's not going to work out you know? You're too much of a cold hearted bitch" I say and she stands up so fast her chair knocks over. All eyes are on us and I know we've got her. "You little..." She grits out placing her tightened fist on the table. I see Lexa nod and the side door opens gaining her attention. "Sit down mother. You're causing a scene" Roan says as she walks out making her stand straight and eyes wide. "Roan?" She asks surprised. As everyone is distracted I grab her cup and pour the poison into it then place it back just as she turns to us. "What is this?" She asks. "that's your son, mother." I say smugly making her growl at me. "Did you think I would miss my sister's binding ceremony? Drink your wine and calm yourself. We can be civil for another hour or two" he says now sitting next to me after Gustus puts a chair there. I smile and hug him. "Perfect timing" I say and he smiles. She sits down and takes a huge gulp of her drink making me smile. Her cup gets refilled and again she drinks it. Not long now. "You'll both regret this" she says and I just smile shrugging "your threats are empty mother" I say and lean a bit into Lexa and she intertwines our fingers together. "They won't be. I'm sad to see you aren't siding with your mother Thea. And you, Roan. You disappoint me" she says and Roan sighs. "That seems to be the only thing either of us can do" he says and she huffs. "I won't sit here any longer. I hope your ceremony is lively. I'm sorry I won't be there to see it." She says getting up with her guards. "Oh? Are you leaving so soon?" I ask. "I'm heading back early in the morning." She says and I nod. "I hope you have a restful night" I say with a smirk and she walks out. "Watch her" Lexa says to Gustus and he leaves out the side door. "She drank it" Roan says and I nod. "It should only take an hour." He says. "More like 10 minutes now" I say and they look at me "I poured the whole bottle in" I say placing the empty bottle on the table. 'Echo said a few drops" Roan says and I nod. "I wanted her dead sooner. I asked Niko, it'll be painful the last few minutes." I say and he nods. "Are you ok?" Lexa whispers and I look at her. I smile a bit and nod. "I'm excited for the ceremony tomorrow" I say and she smiles squeezing my hand. "How much longer do we need to stay?" I ask tired from the day just wanting to snuggle with Lexa. "Until Gustus comes to tell us she's dead. We declare Roan king and then we can go to bed" she says kissing my head gently.