Hidden 🦝

I found some will to write another story or two. This one is longer because I haven't written in a while.

POV Thea

"You need to hide Thea. Now! Guards from Polis are coming" Dad says rushed. I've been hiding since I could remember. I never knew why. My papa told me I was different. I was a special curse that would only end up with myself dead or in eternal pain. For a 5 year old that sounded awful, so I listened and hid every time. I slipped beneath the floor boards hissing when I cut my arm but think nothing of it holding my breath. I stay there for what feels like hours when I hear heavy foot prints above and deep voices. "We could use someone like you Darius. Your skill in wood crafting could help the commander greatly. You'll be paid well. Why not except?" A deep voice asks my father. I'm curious by nature so naturally I shift to look through the crack. I see two men in heavy armor. It looks special. Important. Well, I mean they are the commander's guards after all. Why do they want papa? I ask myself listening to them talk. "I can't leave my people, you know this. I am always happy to help though. If the commander needs something I can make it, but from here" papa says making the man who talked before sigh. I catch the other man's movements as he walks closer to me looking around making me hold my breath. "What is this?" The younger man asks looking right at me it seems. "What is what?" Papa asks nervously. "Is that blood?" The older man says. "Oh, no. No stain. I must have dropped some when I was working on my last piece" papa laughs. The man crouches down and gasps. "Nightblood" he whispers and unsheathes his sword pointing it at papa. I cover my mouth with my hand not wanting to make a noise. "What are you doing?" The older guard asks. "He's hiding a nightblood. Where is it?" The younger man growls. "I don't know what you are talking about! Luka tell him!" Papa please the older guard, Luca. "Put your weapon down Edwar! That's an order" Luca yells making him stand down. I let a breath out feeling a tear fall down my face. "Darius? Speak the truth" Luca says facing him. Papa looks at me with fear in his eyes. "I can't" he says making Luca pull his sword out. "You disregard an order from the commander's guard? Speak true" he says sternly. "You're going to have to kill me before I give you my daughter." He says making my eyes go wide. "Where is the nightblood?" Edwar yells making me flinch. "You won't find her. I've kept her safe from 2 commanders. For 16 years. I won't let this commander ruin her" he says and before I can blink Edwar drives his sword through papa's chest making his eyes go wide. He falls to the ground choking on his blood right in front of me. 'I hod yu in Thea' he mouths before his eyes go cold and his breathing stops. I cover my mouth stopping the sob from escaping my mouth. The commander killed my father.

I laid there numbly for hours. Days. Seconds. I don't know but what I do know is I was snapped out of my thoughts when three more men stormed in and they started tearing the place apart. My father is dead. I killed him. It was my fault. The commander... The commander ordered this. The commander condones killing unarmed old men who had done nothing wrong. I'm going to kill the commander. "The floor!" One yells and before I can react the floor boards is ripped off and I'm being yanked out making me cry out. I scream, kick, thrash but nothing. The last thing I remember is seeing my dead father's body and then black.

I jolt up and panic when I can't see anything. My hands are tied, my mouth gaged and a bag over my head. I've heard about nightbloods. They are supposed to be treated like commanders not like an Azgeda spy. I feel a jolt and I fall forward only to be yanked back and hauled up so I'm standing. "Make her look presentable. If the commander found out she was bound and gaged she will have our heads" a gruff voice I recognize as Luca says. I squint when the bag is ripped off and gasp when the gag is roughly yanked off my mouth. "Untie her. She's harmless. Probably never picked up a sword in her life" one says that I don't recognize. They all laugh making me clench my jaw. Edwar cuts my binds making me rub my wrists that are red and raw. "Move" Luca says pushing me forward. I look around seeing lots of people rushing around and gasp lightly at the huge tower in front of me. "Polis" I whisper. "Edwar pushes me again making me growl. I turn around abruptly and kick him in the groin then punch him in the face making me wince. "branwoda" (fool/idiot) Luca hisses slapping me across the face. I fall to the ground from the force making the other one kick my side. I groan gasping in pain. "Get her up!" Luca yells and two of the hoist me up making me yelp in pain. "You'll pay for that" Edwar growls and punches me twice in the face making me spit blood out. "Enough!" Luca yells making Edwar back off. "Let's get her to the commander" he says and they drag me into the tower.