1: When One Thing Ends, Another Begins

"I'm surprised Malleus' isn't walking with you to class like he normally does," Ace observed. "Is he neglecting you, Cassie?"

"He and Lilia had something going on this morning, so they were busy."

The week following the interscholastic gala made students return to business. The freshman and sophomores began preparing for their final exams before summer break. The juniors were attending an assembly to discuss their internships during their fourth year prior to graduating. It was supposed to be a time spent for them to broaden their horizons towards their future career paths. All the third years had to report to the auditorium before their homeroom class, so Malleus and I didn't get to see one another this morning. However, he left me a steaming cup of coffee on my front porch with a letter wishing me a good day.

I added, "Silver and Sebek did offer to walk me to class, but I wanted to spend some time with you guys."

"About time too," Ace said. "Honestly, since the two of you have been mushy-gushy with each other, the guy's been practically hoggin' you."

Deuce worried, "Cassie, we're not gonna get in trouble with Malleus if we hang out together?"

"Seriously?" I looked to him in surprise. "How bad do you think Malleus is?"

Ace argued, "I could see where Deuce is coming from. We don't want to get cursed, turned into a toad or something like that. What if Malleus doesn't like you being around with other guys?"

I stopped in my tracks, "I go to an all-boys school. My friends who are girls live outside of Sage's Island. Who else can I hang out with?"

Ace opened his mouth to speak, but instead said, "Touché."

We continued to walk in silence for a few moments before Deuce mentioned, "I can't believe summer break's in just a few months. Then we'll be starting our sophomore year."

"And Ms. Witch here will have her own dorm to lead," Ace stuck his pinkie finger towards me, "Cassie, you and Grim still better come to Heartslabyul for our unbirthday parties."

I intertwined my finger, sealing the promise, "You know I'd never miss out on something like that."

When I first came to Night Raven College,  I only wished for two things: to survive and for the school year to quickly end. Then again, the witch I was back then was not the witch I was now.

Still, I couldn't help but look at the road ahead. After we're sophomores, we'll be juniors. Then we'll be going on our own internships for a year and then graduate. Some would go to university while others would choose to enlist in the military or join the work force. Weddings would be hosted and families would expand. Adult lives would be lead. 

Time was passing by so quickly. Too quickly.

"Hey, why's the mood so gloomy all of a sudden?" Deuce changed the topic. "We still have a couple more years ahead of us. Even after we graduate, who's to say we're never going to see each other again?"

Ace teased, "Right, we'll have Cassie's wedding to go to first."

I rolled my eyes, "For the record, I'll be going to college first. But if we're talking about now, the both of you will go down in history for being beat by me at defensive magic."

"Bold words, Cassandra," Deuce cracked his knuckles. "You're gonna have to let us know how our dust tastes."

"Not unless you eat mine first," I said before I took off down main street.

-------------------------

The length of the school days seemed to become much shorter as well. My morning walk with Ace and Deuce seemed like something that occurred merely five minutes ago. Now, I was finishing up my student aide work and heading over to Mostro Lounge to start work.

Walking through the corridors, a hint of a conversation between two students made me slow down my pace and listen in.

"Dude, I totally thought I was going to be late to the orientation meeting this morning," the first one said. "I was heading to the auditorium and I saw Malleus in front of me. I didn't know whether to pass him or not."

"I get what you mean," the second one sighed, "Honestly, just even walking by Malleus makes me nervous. You never know what the guy's thinking."

"He's supposed to be one of the top five wizards in the world, but why the heck did he even enroll at this school for? What's left for him to learn?"

"I kinda feel bad for his girlfriend. Wonder if maybe she's too scared to leave him."

"The witch?" the first student asked in confusion. "Cassandra?"

"Is there another witch that goes here, you dimwit? Anyways, how could she choose a guy like him over all the others?"

My jaw clenched and my fingernails dug into my palm.

How could they say such things?

"True, I thought she would have a thing with Azul or Vil since she hangs out with them quite a bit."

Not wanting to listen to anymore of the conversation, I hastily walked away. Hopefully, there would be better things for me to listen to.

I had barely made it to the Hall of Mirrors when Lilia came up to me from behind. "Cassandra."

The fact he used my full name already put me on edge. But looking at the Vice-Dorm leader eye-to-eye, feeling the dullness of his aura, only made the feeling much worse. "Is everything okay?"

He walked towards the mirror leading to Diasomnia and motioned for me to follow him, "There's something I need to discuss with you."