15: Birds of a Feather

The view from the window was that of a metal ocean. There had to be at least a hundred Silver Owls surrounding us. Arrows were drawn, catapults were loaded, horses were mounted.

I could hear the whispers and murmurs among them. I saw their excitement at the news of Lilia being injured and us being trapped inside. They simply had to bide their time for us to make a move before they overwhelmed us with their forces.

Teleportation magic would be our quickest route to escape. Though, the biggest issue was the distance between the fortress and Wild Rose Castle. It was far too great. It would take an enormous toll on their minds and bodies, even those that were healthy.

If I teleported everyone myself, it would come with its own problems. So far, I only practiced moving Grim and myself to a different location. I had never done it with a larger group of people and I certainly wasn't going to try now. Not only was Wild Rose Castle too far away, but I could risk sending us to the wrong place. This was the Valley of Thorns centuries ago.

Baul then suggested another way, "The men who are fit for battle will teleport to the castle. The rest of us will return on foot."

"You idiot! You want us to stroll back there?!" Lilia clutched his side. "Didn't you just say the Knight of Dawn was spotted at the castle?!"

"You can hardly pick up your blade, let alone stand on your two feet. You wouldn't stand a chance against him. We need to have faith in Lady Meleanor and the Imperial Guard. They'll be able to hold things down until we join up with them."

The General realized there was no other option. Without wasting his breath to argue any further, some of the soldiers vanished, leaving us with half the number of members in our company.

"If we just sit around hiding from the enemy, things aren't going to improve one bit," Silver urged, "We need to brainstorm something we can do to help."

Sebek then came up with an idea, "If we procured some brooms, we could use flying magic to break through the Silver Owl's perimeter."

"Maybe you could find some medical supplies as well," I added. "It doesn't have to be anything fancy."

Lilia was not the only one who needed treatment. I could see the damage the other soldiers had endured, despite their best efforts to hide it. The limp as they walked and the dents on their armor. If they were not treated immediately, they would lose the battle before they even got a chance to enter the field.

Silver and Sebek were about to take off to search the fortress, but Baul stopped them. He said we should give up. "This mission was a complete disaster. The situation has completely changed from how things were when the General allowed you to come with us. Leave. Now."

"You only have a few men amongst your troops," Sebek argued. "Allow us to help you."

"That's nothing for you to concerned about. You humans have no reason to be fighting the Silver Owls," Baul nodded towards me. "A witch's aid will be sufficient."

Silver disagreed. "We do have a reason. If General Vanrouge hadn't protected me back there, I could've died. I owe him my life. I want to make sure he makes it through all this. I don't need any other reason that that. It doesn't have anything to do with...with being a fae or human."

"Sir Baul, I feel the same way as Silver," Sebek supported. "You don't need to worry. We shall work tirelessly and we shall strive to adhere to our master's teachings."

The soldier then looked to me, "Lady Cassandra? What say you? You're the one responsible for these two humans."

"I'll be standing beside Silver and Sebek until the very end," I said. "Wherever I go, they go. They come with us."