18: Origins

The fire magic we used to light our way may have served no purpose. There was no path for us to follow, yet it felt like we stood on solid ground. Our light at least put us at ease for what may prowl in the Darkness. It was an infinite void, yet it felt suffocating. I tried to sense for the presence of Silver's magic ring. The frigidness of our surroundings was the only thing I felt. 

"I just hope we can find Silver quickly and knock some sense into him," Sebek glanced back at us. "I don't want to lose either one of you in the process either."

Grim teased, "Wanna hold on to my paw so you don't get lost?"

"Absolutely not! I was trained by Master Lilia, I have no need for your protection. I'm the one who's supposed to be protecting you."

I spoke, "Sebek, come on. You know we can-"

His hand quickly covered my mouth. He scanned the darkness, "Did you hear that?"

I listened more closely. My head slowly bobbed up and down in confirmation when I heard what Sebek was talking about. It was the wailing...of a baby.

We followed the source of the sound. The Darkness became vibrant. The ground became a colorful patterned tile. Two large thrones rested along the wall. A banner of a kingdom that once stood hung from the ceiling. Thorny brambles decorated every inch of the room. We were in Wild Rose Castle. 

Beside one throne was a cradle....with a baby inside. His hair shone like rays of the sun against the moonlight and tears streamed down his cheeks. The white clothing he wore appeared to be made of silk. Around his neck was a gold ring containing a gemstone the same color as his eyes.

I went to pick up the baby, but my arms passed through him. The same thing happened with Sebek when he tried.

"This is probably one of Lilia's memories," I thought.

Soft footsteps came from the opposite side of the room. Our gazes diverted to find a fairy standing at the entrance. He was in a plain set of clothing and carried a simple satchel by his side. His hair had been significantly shortened. It wasn't the General of the Imperial Guard that stood before us, but Lilia Vanrouge. 

He called to see for other possible habitants. Receiving silence in response, he carefully made his way past the thorns to the cradle. He did not even spare one glance in our direction.

Sebek's brows furrowed, "He can't see us?"

Grim decided to test out the theory by shouting in his direction, "You're a hazard in the kitchen!"

There came no response from the fairy. His gaze remained fixed on the cradle as he slowly approached at the wailing infant. 

"Guess he can't hear us either," Grim said. 

Coming to the cradle's edge, Lilia took a peek. His eyes were like saucers to see the child.

"A human baby....Why would you be in a place like this? It's been 400 years since I last came here, how did you...." Lilia placed his hand on the cradle and spoke his incantation, "Life is but a fleeting day, distance but an illusion. Far Cry Cradle."

Lilia's unique magic allowed him to view the memories imbued on an object.

I wanted to see what Lilia saw. Instead, I heard it.

One woman's voice spoke in a panic, "The enemy's closing in on us, Queen Leah! You must get away from here! Quickly! We'll protect the prince."

A second voice, spoke more gently, "Now dear prince. You're going to take a nice little nap for us, okay? This ring will strengthen your magic, and until the spell is broken, you'll remain in that precious form of yours while you sleep. Whether it takes ten years or one hundred years...you'll dream the happiest dreams."