4: A Gift from the Heart

"It's already time to go?" Lilia glanced back at the clock. "Time truly does fly when you're enjoying yourself."

"Lilia, wait!" I protested, though my headache prevented me from walking too far.

Sebek helped me sit back down on the couch and he addressed his Vice-Dorm Leader, "Lord Malleus and Silver haven't come back yet. Don't you want to say goodbye to them?"

"It's alright. I mustn't keep the carriage waiting. Please give those two my well wishes for me," Lilia spoke to the other students and staff. "I want to thank you all for a wonderful two and a half years at this school. It has truly been like a dream. I wish you all farewell."

I tried to think of something I could do to buy Silver and Malleus some time to get here.

Then, a chilling breeze traveled throughout the dorm. From the center of the lounge, a pillar of green fire rose from the ground. Malleus and Silver emerged from the flames.

A devious grin spread across Malleus' face as he scanned the room. "Well, well...What a glittering assemblage. Students, faculty...Everyone is in attendance."

I should've been relieved Malleus and Silver made it in the nick of time. The two of them could send Lilia off with any sentimental last words they wanted to say.

But fear gripped my throat when I noted the mischievous shine in Malleus' eyes.

On instinct, I took a small portion of my hair and began to intertwine its segments, laying one over the other. I quietly asked Jamil, "Do you have a ribbon or a hair tie?"

Scarabia's Vice-Dorm Leader looked to me, baffled, "What're you-Cassandra, now's not the time to braid your hair."

"I'll just ask Vil then if you don't have anything."

Although he was confused, Jamil removed one of his gold hair ornaments for me to use. He asked again, "Now can you tell me why you're braiding your hair?"

Normally, a spell, charm, or talisman could be used to protect a magic user. The problem was they all would emit some kind of magical trace, making the wearer a clear target. Out of fear of being caught during the Witch Hunts, witches performed protective spells using their hair. It is one of the most ancient practices of witchcraft and left the least noticeable magical footprint.

It was a ritual I always did whenever my father or brother had 'something they wanted to discuss with me.' They despised me using my magic openly, so it was the best way to keep my craft discreet. The movement of my fingers intertwining the sections of my hair also helped calm me down and keep my focus steady. The last time I performed this sort of spell was the evening the black carriage came to our house. I felt no need for it after I began school.

Once I was finished with my work, I hid the braid amidst the other sections of my hair.

Meanwhile, Malleus continued with his presentation, "Thank you for the invitation, and I do apologize for arriving late. I've been mulling it over for so long, just what I should give you...No, what I should you all as a gift. And I've finally arrived at an answer. I certainly hope you will accept this...gift from my heart."

Lilia seemed just as worried as I was, "Malleus, what're you doing?"

"I'm going to bestow the most splendid of gifts upon you all. You shall no longer need to mourn any more partings nor shed any more tears. What we should be celebrating today is a beginning, not an end! You shall be born anew today. Into a world without sorrow, a world where you'll never say goodbye to your family, or friends...or anything ever again!" his magic rapidly began to accumulate. Goosebumps traveled down my arms. Grim took up a defensive position in front of me.

This couldn't be happening. Not now.

Ortho used his magical analysis, "A rapid accumulation of blot has been detected within a 10 meter radius. A magical disaster emergency alert has been issued. Immediate evacuation and further precautionary measures are advised."

Crowley immediately commanded, "Dorm leaders, I permit you all to use offensive magic!"

While the teachers evacuated the students out of Diasomnia, Riddle, Leona, Azul, Kalim, Vil, and myself surrounded Malleus. Ortho, Lilia, Silver, and Sebek chose to stay and join the fight as well. Everyone gave it their all in their magical attacks. Too many spells were casted for me to distinguish their casters. No matter what was projected at him, the Crown Prince did not even break a sweat blocking and redirecting our spells.

"Stand back, you fools!" Malleus growled.

"You have to stop this!" Lilia attempted to accumulate whatever magic he could to cast a spell against Malleus, but to no avail. The only other remaining he had against the Crown Prince were his words, "You idiot! Do you even realize what you're doing?! What's the point of all this?!"

"I WON'T LOSE YOU!"

Though, Lilia's pleas did not prevent Malleus from reciting his incantation, "O Spinning Wheel of Fate, spin thy thread of calamity. I, the King of the Abyss, shall bestow upon thee...Fae of Maleficence."

Thorny brambles began to slither around all of Diasomnia's walls and floors. Every possible exit, whether it was a window or a door, was now sealed. My own magic could not stop the natural invasion. However, the Prince of the Valley of Thorns was not finished with his work. One by one, everyone in the lounge collapsed onto the ground. Even Ortho was not immune to the sleeping spell. I tried to shake them awake, but was met with no success.

Malleus' maniacal laugh caused a sense of impending doom to come over me. I looked back at the beast the fairy had become. His dorm uniform had transformed into garments designed by the thorns themselves. Dark markings were revealed on his forehead. The tar-like ink gloved his hands and decorated along the sides of his face. The negative energy emitting from him was bleak and suffocating. The warmth in his eyes I had grown accustomed to was replaced with malicious blaze.

"My darling Enchantress," the ends of his tattered midnight and violet robes dragged across the ground as he glided towards me. "Why are you frightened?"

"I'm not."

I worried what he would do to himself if he was not brought back to reality. How he will react after he learned what he'd done to everyone. His magical reservoir may be near infinite, but he was not invincible.

Malleus inched closer, "I have envisioned you ruling by my side. You have shown a kindness to me and so many other people that could not be measured. It's one of the many things I adore about you, my love. You can help me create a wonderful world for everyone."

A pulse of my magic sent him to the other side of the lounge. I gritted, "Absolutely not."

"Must we fight about this?" he continued to head in my direction. He did not get too much further before the prickly vines restrained him by his arms and legs.

A field of deadly nightshade covered the entirety of Diasomnia's floors and released their potent sedative mist. An additional touch of wind magic spiraled the lavender floral fog to entrap Malleus. If the Dorm Leader of Diasomnia could put someone to sleep, so could I.

Though I was not surprised to find Malleus' motivation to reach me had not been broken.

In less than a heartbeat, I was between Malleus and a wall. He restrained both of my wrists above my head with his hand. With his free hand, he tilted my chin for him to press his lips to mine. It was a kiss so sweet and so gentle, yet so poisonous. Warmth blossomed in my chest but made my heart ache. All of the strength in my body began to leave me. My eyelids felt heavier, and my jaw relaxed.

I struggled against the effects of the magic that was slowly starting to take its hold on me. 

Malleus and I are generally fairly matched in terms of our magical prowess and knowledge. But as long as he remained in his current condition, this was not a battle I would emerge victorious from.

Malleus' hands shifted to support me as I leaned into him. He tenderly pressed a kiss to my forehead and traced the tip of his finger along my face, "Sweet dreams, my Enchantress."