19: Knight of Lightning

A young Silver and Sebek sat by the dining room table. Their hard gazes remained fixed on the two wooden spoons in front of them. The goal: move the utensils using magic.

The two of them had attempted on their own for several minutes, but with no success.

"You just gotta go like...you know like this!" Lilia showed them a quick hand motion. "And then you throw in some of that!"

The two children cocked their heads in confusion, trying to understand his instructions. 

Lilia tried another method of explaining, "You need to relax. Straining yourselves won't help one bit. First, you need to loosen up, then just go like...like swoosh! And presto!"

A quiet chuckle escaped from Malleus as he observed the lecture.

"What's so funny?" Lilia asked.

"Oh, nothing. Your teaching methods haven't changed in the slightest. Silver, Sebek, watch me and give it another try," he moved himself closer to the two children. "First, steady your breathing and hold your hand out. Imagine your magic as a line connecting your hand to the spoon. Maintain that image in your mind. Then, pull back your hand quickly, like you're reeling in a fish on a line."

With the Crown Prince's instructions in mind, the two boys tried again.

It worked...for one of them.

Silver beamed with excitement at his success when the spoon came to him, "Thank you so much, Lord Malleus!"

"You've nothing to thank me for."

"Please watch, Lord Malleus!" little Sebek said with determination. "I promise I'll pull it off too!"

----------------------------

Silver and Sebek had finished their warm up routine and stood, waiting for Lilia's arrival. As still and as stoic as they appeared, their minds were racing with the possibilities on today's training session. Lilia told them it would be something special.

At last, their teacher came...accompanied by two young girls.

"These are Celeste and Karina," he introduced them. "Starting today, they're going to be training with you, gentlemen."

Silver gave a small wave at the girls. Celeste enthusiastically returned the gesture, meanwhile Karina hid herself behind Lilia.

"I'm Sebek Zigvolt!" he introduced himself.

Celeste giggled, "You're funny...and cute."

"I'm what?! I'm not cute! I'm a fierce knight who will knock down anyone in my way!"

Naturally, Celeste drew out her wooden sword and pointed at her opponent, "Then, I challenge you to a duel, Sebek Zigvolt! If I win, you'll get me ice cream for a week."

Sebek picked up his own weapon and joined the girl in the ring. He brought himself into a ready position, "Bring it on!"

Lilia guided the two other children to the sidelines to get a better view of the match.

"Will we also have a bet for our duel?" Karina asked Silver. "Is that required?"

"It's not necessary, but if you'd like to set a wager, we can do that."

Karina's arms folded over her chest as she stood in thought. "If I win...you will help out at my mom's café for a whole day."

Silver considered Karina's proposition. He then offered his hand out to her, "If I win, you will help my father out with dinner tonight."