5: A Bunch of Hocus Pocus

Despite the short time lapse, the entirety of Sage's Island had been overrun by thorns and was quickly infesting the rest of the world. No one was strong enough to combat against the sleeping spell casted by Malleus. As long as he remained in power, he would ensure all those who slumbered lived out their fairytales. Even the passage of time was under his control.

With the witch in his arms, the fairy prince carefully walked up the stairs to one of Diasomnia's empty guest bedrooms, the one Cassandra used whenever she spent the night at the dorm. Nothing had been moved out of its place since the last time it was used. There were even some of her books on the nightstand and her drawing tools on her desk. Malleus gently set her down on the bed, ensuring she was as comfortable as possible.

To add some color to the dark interior of the room, he made a bed of variously colored flowers bloom on the floor around the bed. 

Looking at her, Malleus was distraught by the pained expression on her face as she stirred in her sleep. A few soft grunts left her and her eyes shut tighter.

Malleus softly pressed a kiss to her lips and her body laxed. He gently combed his fingers through her hair, "Rest now, my dear. You've fought enough."

As he continued to caress her, his fingers got caught in something tucked in between the waves of her hair. With his new discovery revealed, Malleus began to carefully unwind the braid Cassandra hid.

---------------------------------

"Oh, cheese and crust, do you think she's alright?"

"She doesn't look too good."

"Neither does the little guy."

Three unknown female voices conversed with each other.

Without risking opening my eyes, I tried to gather as much input from what I felt. My back was against wooden floorboards. A floral incense filled the air. I could feel Grim's magical aura, which gave me a slight sense of relief.

Finally deciding to wake up, the first thing I saw were three faces hovering above me. One of them asked, "How're you feeling, Cassandra?"

I quickly backed myself away and activated my magic. Grim jerked himself awake and got into a defensive position in front of me. The three women did not even flinch from their spots.

I asked, "Who are you and how do you know my name?"

"Don't get your knickers in a twist," the first one laughed, "We're just three kindly spinster ladies." The other two ladies joined in her giggle fest.

Grim whispered, "I'll distract them while you make a run for it."

The second one consoled my familiar, "Don't worry, Grim. We're not here to harm your mistress."

He refused to lower his guard, "How do you know mine and Cassie's names?"

"We're witches, we know things," the ruby lips of the third woman parted into a smile.

Before I could pry them further for answers, my focus shifted to mine and Grim's surroundings. Judging by the size of the room, we had to be in some kind of cottage. Three broomsticks hung near the door. Bottles and jars containing wild plants and herbs were neatly arranged on a lengthy wooden table. An enormous cauldron in the center of the room awaited to be filled with ingredients to brew a potion. The walls of both the first and second floor were covered with hundreds of ancient, leatherbound books.

I took another glance at the three ladies before me. I knew exactly who they were. Their robes of green, violet, and red indicated they were from another time period. The first had ringlets as red as rubies and magical talents which could not be rivaled. The second could sense any sort of magical spell no matter the distance. The beauty of the third was unparalleled and her voice would make sirens envious.