2: Where to Go From Here

No good news ever came following the phrase, 'There's something I need to discuss with you.'

My mind was already racing with all sort of possible matters that Lilia would want to talk to me about. And when I entered in Diasomnia's empty lounge, it made me my heart beat harder against my chest.

"I apologize for dragging you here just before you're going to work."

"Don't worry about my work." Feeling it would most likely not end well, I sent a message to Azul saying I had a personal emergency and wouldn't be coming in. I didn't even check to see his response. 

With the two of us comfortably seated, Lilia revealed the crucial news he needed to share, "I'm dropping out of Night Raven College."

"You're what?!"

He repeated, "I'm dropping out."

"I heard you, it's just-what? Why?" 

As the years went by, the fairy's magic had weakened. Apparently, since before Silver and Sebek were born. He said he was too reckless in his youth with his powers and didn't take care of himself properly. Now, he was paying the price. 

He could no longer cast out simple spells. He couldn't even teleport to nearby places. Lilia hoped his magic would hold out until he graduated, but it ran out much sooner than he imagined.

And if a fairy ran out of magic....

I didn't even want to finish that thought.

"What will you do now?" I asked.

"I'm planning on moving east to the Land of Red Dragons."

My brows furrowed in confusion, "You're not returning to the Valley? I thought it was your home."

For Lilia, that was exactly the problem. With the reputation he established back home, people constantly asked him to do things for them, especially Her Majesty, Queen Maleficia. He wished to spend the rest of his days peacefully and quietly, hence his move to a country halfway across the world.

He already made his decision, and nothing was to prevent him from putting his plans in motion. He made arrangements to officially leave Night Raven College by the following week.

An idea occurred to me, "If Malleus was able to grant me some of his power, couldn't he do the same for you?"

I'm certain Malleus would have offered that idea to begin with.

"It's not that simple, Cassandra. Sometimes, you can't escape fate. Mine was already decided a long time ago."

With variety of fairies in existence, each one had its own lifespan. The Draconias, because of their ancestral ties with dragons, had the longest life span out of any fairy species. The Vitales, with their connection the natural world, had an equally long-life expectancy.

In Lilia's case, he had not lost his magic because of some external cause. It had deteriorated on its own because of his age.

It was a process no amount of magic could alter. He was even made aware that members of his kind normally lived up to be a thousand years old. And he was nearing the 700-year mark.

Even if more magic was added to his system, his body wouldn't be able to tolerate it. The outcome would still be the same.

"I was quite reckless in my youth," he said. "Had I taken care of myself better and maybe not gone overboard with gaming all night, I wouldn't have aged so quickly."

I worried, "Have you told the boys yet?"

"I did. They say they're alright and have accepted it, but I know them too well."