Chapter Thirty-Three

Antony

The captain of the Orion may as well be a hypnotic splendor of the deep. 

She stands, engulfed in light by the hearth, drenched from top to bottom and I'm spellbound, utterly ensnared by her siren call. The fire I've started is only just now sweeping across the logs. I walk to the window, grabbing both sides of the curtain, taking one look at the empty harbor before closing us off from all of it.

Tomorrow is a different day.

The basin the owner sent up minutes ago rests on the painted dresser beside me. "There's warm water."

The silence grows between us.

Is she going to leave?

Does she wish to be here as much as I've convinced myself she does?

She hasn't moved, her eyes only on the flames, her arms crossed over her chest. I turn, leaning against the wall, gripping the edge of the windowsill with bated breath as that is the only thing keeping me from consuming the space around her.

I wish to be everywhere—every inch, tracing every curve.

This kind of desire is excruciating. I wish I'd never felt it, known it's power.

She finally breaks her silence, approaching the dresser while shedding her soaked cloak. Her eyes have drunken the flames, bringing vibrancy to the color as they secure mine. "I plan to fully enjoy you tonight."

My head tilts, my eyes slimming as a smile spreads across my lips. "You read my mind."

"Come here," she whispers, plucking the strings holding together her corset.

I shake my head. "Come here."

Her eyes widen, as if she's programmed to refuse but her feet move for her, bringing her to my side. My fingers replace hers, loosening the corset until it falls away, landing on the ground with a thud. Her clothing is drenched, sticking to her, the salt so thick you can see beads of it against her skin even in this low light.

I bend, removing her boots, feeling her hands slide comfortably into my hair. I look up, smirking when I see her eyes alight with excitement. Here, her cold exterior sheds and she is all warmth, finally trusting enough of me to smile with ease.

I straighten and her hands fall from my hair to my chest as I pull the shirt over her head, removing her trousers last. She bites down on her lip, cheeks darkening as she watches my gaze wander over her freely. "Now you."

Wearing less layers than her, I'm unclothed quickly by her hand, shamelessly stiff for the woman. Her eyes meet mine as she takes hold of my wrist, guiding it between her legs. A rough exhale leaves my lips as my fingers meet blazing wetness.

It's as uncontrollable for her as it is for me.

She shivers as my teasing fingers slip from the heat, grabbing the handcloth on the dresser. After dipping the cloth in the water, I bring it to her throat, wiping the salt and sweat from her skin. She watches the map I take across her skin with the towel, barely breathing when I reach her core.

Her eyes close when I press the fabric to her mound.

"My heart is pounding in my chest," she breathes shakily.

"Mine too." I don't even recognize my voice.

Her natural scent fills my senses, an essence I know I could single out in any crowd. A tightness builds in my chest, desire intensifying, and my hand stills against her.