Chapter Thirty-Five

Antony

My legs, stiff from too much idleness, firmly plant on the crimson dock I am so familiar with. The harbor of Vale is unlike any other kingdom or sea port. There is simply no rival. With massive gunships anchored throughout the port, mixed in with countless fisherman and tradesman ships, it is the bustling enterprise that keeps the providence much wealthier than other nearing countries.

I've spent my entire life dreaming of captaining my own vessel, of fulfilling my father's wishes and championing the people I've sworn to protect. Protect from any enemies who may with them harm.

Raiders. Bounty hunters. Rival kingdoms... Pirates.

There is a feeling of unease as I place myself back into a life I feel no longer tethered to.

Not when she is on my mind.

"Highness, your arrival has been widely spread throughout the kingdom. For your protection from the crowds, we've arranged a carriage—"

"That won't be necessary," I say, cutting the captain of the Arania off, imagining the ridiculousness of that. The sheer pompousness of it. After nearly a month at sea with the man, who rambles on ceaselessly in my company, I'm only too relieved to finally be rid of the burden. "I'll only require a horse."

He doesn't appear to be surprised by my push back. "The king insisted on guards. At least two."

"Fine."

A victim of my sour demeanor for now many a day, he blanches for the last time before making his way to order for the horses and refuse the gold-crusted carriage my father sent. I can trace back the moment this regret filled my chest... when I woke alone in a tavern with a bejeweled dagger beside my pillow.

I should have expected it from her.

She is one to run from matters that make her uncomfortable.

But I didn't. My hand stretched out to draw her close half-asleep and I didn't have to open my eyes to sense she was gone. I felt it.

It was surprisingly easy to summon kingsmen. Through mostly wind and rain, we trekked on foot, horseback, carriage and finally, ship to reach my homeplace and I still feel no less empty than I did waking up that morning.

What is she doing at this moment?

Are they sailing? Are they enjoying themselves in the cove, sampling drink and pleasure to ease the boredom? Is she? Or are they already on the search for the bastard that wronged her?

What I wouldn't do to make him suffer for what he did to her... the pain he caused.

"Here you are, Highness. The best horse for our returned prince." The captain hands me the reins of a stallion and not seconds behind him are the two kingsmen my father insisted on.

I mount the stallion, grabbing hold of the reins. "Let's get going, lads."

With a flick of the reins, I'm off and they're scrambling to board their horses. The kingdom is crowded, the streets full of villagers trading and traveling. I pull the hood of my cloak onto my head, not interested in the procession.

This return is a complicated one.

My heart feels torn—my sense of duty lost.

And although I told Vivian my father could never be swayed, my mind seems to want to do nothing but that. Sway him. A long voyage fueled me with plenty of false hope, whether that be foolish or not.

I found myself imagining a moment between my father and I, a sincere one, where I could explain the life she's lived—the life our family forced onto her.