Chapter Fifty-Eight

Antony

"She's dead!"

"The evil Siren is finally gone!"

Rejoicing can be heard throughout the crowded streets, filling the air in ominous bliss.

The cobblestone roads currently hold every person in the kingdom, people who left their work to joyously welcome the victors back to the Vale. Victors who finally rid the world of the criminal Vivian Ravirac.

Jude glances at me from her horse, her eyes filled with concern.

As far as she knows, I have just murdered the woman I loved in cold-blood.

My eyes remain on the palace in the distance, a place I have spent the entirety of our return journey eager to see. When I left this harbor, my heart was cold—dead.

Now, it burns. It burns beyond my control.

I've had weeks to imagine this moment. What I'd say, what I'd do.

I've toiled with wanting to explode, to rush in and beat the hell out of my brother. And I've also imagined playing his own game, waiting until the right moment to reveal what I know.

What I've so painfully discovered.

That my brother had peace within his grasp and chose violence. Chose to deceive every person who trusted him... a result that took my own father from me. Nearly took Vivian from me, too. The consequences of his treachery are endless.

"Rid the world of pirates! Every last one!"

"Her hair... the color of the fiery pits! The witch—good riddance!"

The public's jubilant praises continue on either side of the procession, a mixture of Vivian's name and mine. It occurs to me that my name will always be in association with hers—her murderer. A man charged with guarding the waters from people just like the Sea Siren.

They see a criminal. Someone beyond reparation.

It's all they want to see.

A flash of light, something catching fire, captures my attention. The object, flung over one of the posts, makes me pull on the reins of my stallion. A stuffed sack, woven in the shape of a woman and stuffed with hay... blood of an animal painted on either side to mimic her hair.

My veins run cold.

I cannot move, cannot do anything. To them, I must hate her as much as they do.

To keep her safe.

Gibson shouts beside me in rage, ordering a guard to tear down the doll. To push them back. "Disperse!"

I look at him, knowing I must have paled. "Let them do it."

"But—"

I shake my head, facing forward. "Move on!"

My ears are ringing by the time we reach the gates of the palace. I never found a way to drown the shouts out. I dismount my horse, handing off the reins to the stable hand. Around me, villagers are taking the day to celebrate.

Roth stands waiting at the steps of the palace. I look up at the towers, my stomach turning.

"Where is my brother?" I ask calmly.

"The King just learned of your arrival. He was visiting the neighboring cities, as is custom of a new ruler. He wrote to say he was cutting the trip short and will return to welcome his brother."

I nod, forcing a smile.

Now that I'm here, I finally know how this is going to go.

"I will rest until then," I say, turning to my guard. Jude. Gibson. Callum. "Rooms have been prepared for you. Food and hot water for a bath will be brought in shortly."