CHAPTER 7

"I thought you already went home?" dad asked and looked at me.

"I was about to, but Khael wants me to stay for dinner."

Dad smiled and he nodded. "Good. Do you have any requests for the food? How about your favorite? I'll ask the cook to prepare and serve your favorite food, and Khael's fav, of course."

"Thanks." I said and put my gaze back on the frame.

He sipped on his coffee and looked at the frame as well.

"You still remember what happened in this photo?" he chuckled as he reminisced about the past.

"Iyak ng iyak si Khael dahil kinuha yung chocolate niya. Ayaw niyang magpakarga sa amin ng mommy niya dahil nagtatampo. Ikaw lang ang nagpatahan sa kaniya."

A small smile stretched on my lips as I remember that memory. Khael was only two years old that time and he was clinging to me like a monkey.  Kung hindi ko pa inuto na mauubos ang chocolate niya, hindi pa siya tatahan at magpapakarga sa mommy niya para sa picture.

"You were fifteen that time and yet Khael is already too attached to you. You know how to wrap people around your fingers. Hindi ka mahirap magmahal at hindi rin mahirap mahalin." he took a deep breath and continue. "Dahil alam kong nagkulang kami ng mama mo sa pagpaparamdam nun sayo." he said, emotionally.

My heart clenched as I heard him talk. His words were like needles, poking my heart and it stings. A lot. The recent and past chapters of my life were tragic and I'm on the present page now, building the life I wanted

I wanted so badly to just forget about anything in the past because I don't think I can move forward, lifting a heavy luggage of my past. But then, there were memories that I don't want to forget. Those memories who showed light in my dark life. That memory is what I want to treasure. Dad and Khael are my light who gave me hope to live a beautiful life.

" Honey. Good evening. God I'm so tired."

Well of course, there's always someone who will ruin that light and happiness. I sighed and turned to her.

She went to dad and kissed his cheek. Nag-iwas ako ng tingin.

"I'll go and help in the kitchen, dad." I said as an excuse.

"Oh Hi Zyl. What took you here?" Corine asked.

"Khael invited me for dinner."

"Okay. It's good now that you're trying to hang out and spend more time with your brother."

I just looked at her coldly and excused myself. "I'll go to the kitchen."

"Sure. Go ahead."

Pagdating sa kitchen, tumulong na ako sa paghahanda para sa dinner. Since I don't know how to cook, I just helped with the utensils.

Uuwi sina mommy that time and I was too excited that I helped the cooks and maids to prepare for lunch. I was eight that time. Gusto kong matuwa si mommy kapag nakita niyang tumutulong ako sa gawaing bahay.

When it was eleven o'clock, I stood next to the table wearing a fancy dress which my nanny bought for me. Gusto kong purihin ako ni mommy kapag nakita niya ako.

I heard the doorbell ring and I excitedly ran my way towards the door. My lips stretched for a smile as I opened the door and greeted my mom and tito. I don't understand why lola and my titas don't want me to call him dad. It's fine though.

"Good noon po mommy and tito. Welcome back po. " I greeted them excitedly.

They looked at me and tito smiled. I expect mom to notice my dress and praise me, but she just walked passed me. My smile faded. Tito sighed and just patted my head then he followed mommy to the kitchen.