CHAPTER 18

True to his words, we really ate dinner at one of the ramen houses. I missed eating one, so we decided to just eat here.

The warm and mellow lighting creates a relaxing atmosphere. When you enter the place, you are greeted by a minimalist interior design. The wooden furniture is nicely arranged in the corners, and there are also some Japanese artwork lanterns.

It features an open kitchen concept, allowing guests to watch professional chefs create their ramen bowls. The sounds and scents coming from the kitchen accentuate the whole dining experience.

Hunt chose a table for two. Malapit lamang sa glass window para makakita rin kami ng magandang tanawin.

"Order as much as you want. It's on me." he said as he sat in his chair.

I just hummed as a response and took the menu. All the delicacies seem to be mouth-watering. But most of them contain seafood. So I chose the safest one.

"I'll have fried pork gyoza and tonkotsu ramen."

"Is that all, maam?" the waiter asked as she listed all my orders.

I looked at Hunt. "What's your order?"

"I'll just have the same as you ordered."

The waiter nodded. "What else, ma'am, sir?"

"That's all. Also, please don't put any seafood, please." Hunt requested.

Umalis na ang waiter at naiwan kaming dalawa.

I tapped my fingers on the table as I watched the cars passing by. The city light kind of got my attention.

"You like ramen?"

Nabasag ang katahimikan sa tanong niyang iyon.

"Yeah."

Hindi ko alam kailan nagsimula ang pagkagusto ko sa ramen. I just remembered that I started craving it when I first tried one.

The same guy I always dreamed of suddenly flashed through my mind. Hindi ko na siya kilala, or maybe I decided to forget my past for good.

I was playing in the forbidden land again. The house is so boring that I went here to play. Corine is in the house, so I couldn't stay there peacefully without her throwing insults at me.

While I was playing in the swing made of tire, the boy appeared again. This time, he didn't come empty-handed. He was holding a plastic bag with noodles.

I rolled my eyes at him and pushed myself so the swing would move faster. He showed me what he brought. Indeed, it was ramen. I haven't tried one since.

"I have ramen for you." he offered.

"And?" pagsusuplada ko.

He looks shocked by my response, but nakabawi rin at tiningnan ako ng pabiro. "Peace offering."

Natatakam ako, kaya tinanggap ko na lang. He looked happy when I took it. After that, he took his tumbler, which contains hot water, to cook the ramen.

"Most of their food here has seafood. Why chose this place?" Hunt curiously asked.

"It's my favorite place so far."

I dreamed of eating here when I was a kid. My dream that my mom doesn't want for me. She doesn't like it when I mention anything related to ramen. This is probably the reason why I haven't tried it since I was still living under the same roof as her. But as it turns out, it became my comfort food.

My mom is cold as ice every time she faces me. It felt like she was putting a barrier between us. A kind of wall I couldn't seem to enter and break. I always questioned her treatment of me, but I always got nothing for an answer. Am I an orphan? Adopted? No one knows. Or maybe I'm the only one who doesn't know.