03 | Nina

"So, Nina, what is it I don't know?" Massimo leans casually against the kitchen counter. Santo's presence is looming over my shoulder; he's practically standing on top of me. I've got no idea why he's so close; it's not like I could escape even if I was dumb enough to try.

Tommaso and Nico are at the kitchen table. Tommaso had a woman on her knees in front of him when we walked in here, and it blew my mind he did that kind of thing so openly. Massimo told him to take "the whore" elsewhere, Nico looked indifferent, and Santo only had to glare at the poor girl before she was gathering her clothes and leaving quickly, swiping at her smudged makeup.

I was wondering if the Romanos are as crude when it comes to women as my family, and I suppose that answers any questions I had.

"I am not my father's daughter," I begin, taking a deep breath when Massimo's eyes sharpen with interest. "I am a Genovese, yes, but not by blood. My mother cheated on Luciano and had me. They always knew I was different than the rest of them but when he found out the truth, he killed her. I was five. Since that day, I have not lived in that house. Luciano sent me away. He doesn't give a shit about me."

I stare at Massimo, trying to decipher his reaction to my secret. He only licks his lips before asking, "and why did he not kill you with your mother?"

A humorless smile quirks my lips. It's not an unexpected question. "Luciano will go to ridiculous lengths to make other people miserable. The only reason he spared me was because he wanted someone to suffer for my mother's mistakes. I was the obvious choice."

I try not to think of my mother. All that I remember of her is smooth, pale skin and the smell of her perfume. Her soft hand combing through my hair and her favorite nickname for me. Goia. Joy. I remember flashes of how her life was taken from her, but the trauma from that day has dulled into a fuzzy video reel with chunks of footage missing that only plays in my head if I allow it. And I don't. My mother was the one person who loved me. Her loss is a gaping wound that I don't want to poke.

Massimo's unmoved, and I try again. "I'm not the precious gem of the Genovese family. I'm irrelevant to this entire game you're playing. I won't give you the leverage over Luciano you think I will."

Silence. The only noise I'm aware of is Santo's breathing picking up pace behind me. I imagine he's excited to hear that my life has been miserable.

"Where did you grow up?" Massimo asks calmly.

"Luciano sent me to live with my Aunt Edna and Uncle Andrea. A few hours out of Vegas, just close enough for Luciano to keep an eye on me." I push back my emotions about those years. I haven't spoken a word out loud about what went on during that time.

I can't tell what Massimo is thinking and it makes me nervous.

"Luciano won't care," I cry, becoming desperate. "I'm useless. There's no reason to keep me here."

A dangerous glint plays in the Capo's eyes, and I shiver. "On the contrary, Nina, I think you are very useful. I think Luciano will care very much. If what you say is true and he only keeps you around for the pain he can inflict on you, I imagine he won't like the idea of someone else torturing you."

It takes a few moments for his words to settle in, and I can only stare in horror. Massimo doesn't even look at me, just nods to Santo. "Take her downstairs."

I feel warm hands closing around my waist, and I scream. "Put me down! Leave me alone! Fuck you!" I'm yelling, squirming, and Santo's hands are everywhere as he keeps me contained, trailing fire in their wake. It just makes me scream louder.

I'm taken down a few flights to a concrete basement, Santo remaining quiet the entire time despite my yelling. It's much colder down here, and the ground is freezing on my bare feet. I see a cell and start struggling harder.