51 | Nina

My world is spinning.

"I just need a few seconds," I say, confused about why my voice sounds slurred like that. My head is throbbing, and I squeeze my eyes shut, cutting off Santo's wild face from view.

It's so loud. I want to ask him what's wrong with me because this doesn't feel quite right. I could swear I'm shaking, too—or, no—it's this room. The house?

"They're here," Santo tells me.

They?

It hits me like a ton of bricks.

It's dawn already?

Sure enough, when I crack open my eyes, I can see light seeping in a warm blur through the windows like spilled orange juice. I can also see Luciano and some of his men rushing us.

Panic and hopelessness mix with something else in a toxic weight that settles somewhere deep inside me. This isn't going well.

Through my now focusing vision, I watch the guards hanging back as Luciano comes closer, pulling a gun on us.

Shit.

Of course, none of the guards were carrying firearms, but he is.

From my time here as a child and the few times I've entered this house since, I recall that always being the case. If anyone managed to overpower a guard, at least they wouldn't obtain a weapon for their trouble. These guards are trained to be the best, most lethal fighters—unless they're up against Santo, I think.

He must've taken down all three in less than three minutes. 

Although he appears to be a little worse for wear now. His breaths are too labored, each one looking like it pains him. His torso is still bare, and in the light of day, I can see the extent of what's been done to him. Countless cuts, bruises, and dried blood spots litter his body.

It gives me the strength I need to blink myself back into full awareness. If he's still standing, I will be too. 

"Nina, come here," Luciano orders. "Right now. Or I shoot him."

I lose my balance as I stand, and Santo steadies me. "Nina, no," he snaps, holding me to him.

"Santo, trust me," I whisper.

His eyes sharpen, face pinching in pain. I realize I'm torturing him right now, but he needs to let go of me. He needs to trust me.

Antonio is still missing in action, the seconds are ticking by, and the whirring of the helicopter propellers fills me with an itching panic. One that's shouting at me to get us fucking out of here, and to do it right now.

Santo doesn't let go of me, and I push both hands against his chest. "Let go. Please."

"I'm getting impatient, Nina!" Luciano singsongs, and I sob as Santo's hands fall from me, a deadened look in his eyes. 

"I'm coming," I say, my voice deceptively steady. 

"Good girl." Luciano cocks his head, anger flickering behind his eyes. "What do you think you're doing, shacking up with these people? What, are you going to go with them and live happily ever after? And you," his gaze flicks to Santo, looking at him with tangible disgust, "what do you think this is, love?" 

Santo's darkened gaze following my journey across the room with threatening intensity. "If you touch her, I will break every single bone in your body."

Whatever Luciano sees on Santo's face makes him tremble with rage, so much that the gun shakes. He lowers it slowly, watching as I come up next to him. He's looking at me in a way I've never seen before.