Chapter 1

April 29th, 2022

POV: none
Lee Hoon-Hee sat in his chair, thinking. That it always surprised him just how much of his work was spent thinking alone. Then again, Lee Jin-Sung, his co-CEO, seemed incapable of doing so. But that was enough of such thoughts. Work was over, and it was time to relax. Tonight was dinner with IVE, the newest and most successful group the company has every debuted. Already dressed and organized, he left his office to head downstairs. He nodded to his secretary, dismissing her, as well as the rest of his staff, who were finishing work for the day. Once he arrived at the ground floor, the sea of departing staff split, making way for the head of the company to make his way though, and bowing to him as he went. He nodded in return, uninterested in the sentiment. He was a CEO, and the leader of a powerful company. If he couldn't have what he wanted, what was the use of having the company?

Riding across the city to the restaurant, he let his mind wander. Their company's next acquisition, FM entertainment, had been an issue as of recently, and he had had to hire a specialist to handle it. It was quite pricy, but the specialist was known for being effective, even at overwhelming odds. He was uncertain about this "Fixer" that his former coworker Cho Young-Chul had recommended, but was willing to give a shot to a person with such a good reputation. He had spoken to the operative a few days ago, and expected to hear from them again within a few weeks.

Arriving at the meeting place, he stepped out to see a simple entrance walkway, and entered to take the elevator to the rooftop terrace, where the dinner would be held. IVE was the newest group the company had made, and brought what was considered to be their best balance of talent yet. Hoon-hee hadn't been at the company for long, but the attitude around was expecting them to be quite popular, both domestically and internationally. This would be his first time speaking with them for more than an introduction, so he could considered it crucial to make a good impression.

POV: An Yujin
As the new CEO steps out of the elevator, I gesture to my group mates to bow. It's not needed but I always do it as a reflex now. We go in sync, with our introduction following afterwards, "Dive into Ive, Ive-Imnida!" I stand upright again, looking at him carefully to see if he reacts in any way. He simply smiles, I'm certain he's seen this many times before.
"Annyeonghaseyo, Lee Hoon-Hee imnida." He says in a carefully measured tone. How he bows, stands, and even talks all seems very measured, very carefully presented to look official and professional. "Shall we sit?" He gestures to the tables of food, and Rei immediately nods and walks towards the food, with Hyunseo close behind. I'm also hungry, it's been a while since I've ate, but I know it's important to not rush. Since I'm the leader, I turn and try to offer to talk with the new CEO, trying to impress.
"So, Huijangnim, can I ask if you know much about our group?" He eyes me as we walk slowly, seemingly examining me.
"I have paid attention. Your names, concept, discography. As I should for everyone. I plan to go into greater depth once I have the time, but transition periods are quite busy."
"Of course sir. I'm flattered to hear you've taken time to learn about us." Saying this, I can sense Gaeul begin to smirk. Our reputation as company's favorite is renowned, and for him to regard us as equal to the other groups is a very uncommon, but diplomatic act that very few others will follow.
"Yes, it's very kind of you to put your valuable attention on us." Gaeul says with a subtle tone, that I've come to realize after a while is her sarcasm.
"Like I said, I have a duty to put in the effort for all the company's groups." At this, Gaeul turns and walks off, taking a seat with Wonyoung at the table, and leaving me to meet Liz at the buffet.

POV: Kim Gaeul
I walk off. He's trying to act oblivious to our reputation. It's not that I think we're the best in the company or anything, either. It's something about how he acts so high-handed, as if he's better than us because he got hired as a CEO. I mean, he is making more money. I sit down across from Wonyoung and nod at her, starting to talk.
"The new CEO is over there, don't forget to say hi. Make sure to act like he's the greatest person to ever exist, it's the only way you'll appease him." Wonyoung seems surprised at this.
"I'm sure he's not that bad. Executives are always very high handed, it's part of their job. Maybe he'll be nice once you get to know him, Unnie." I shrug, and looks back at him, sizing up how he's talking with Liz and Rei.
"Maybe." I get up, and gesture to Wonyoung to come with me. "Let's go get something to eat."

From the neighboring building, a lone figure, draped in shadow, watches patiently.

———————————-
Authors note
Feedback is greatly appreciated! Positive or negative