Chapter 13

POV: none

"No."
Fixer said, a stern refusal on his face.
"What do you mean, no?" Asked President Lee, confused.
"I mean no. I won't do it." He stated again.
"But- why not? I'll pay you plenty. It won't be difficult."
"I'm not the type for twenty four hour protection detail."
"Well, we don't really need that. It won't be so complicated. All we'll really need is someone to keep an eye on them whenever they're out, so that they stay safe."
"So a babysittter?"
"No, they're fully able to decide what they do, but someone should still go with them."
"Hmmmm." Fixer put a hand to his chin, and thought for a moment. "What's the pay?"
"Because of how often we might be using your help, we were thinking 500,000 for a concert and 200,000 for an outing,and 400,000 for a day trip." Fixer let out a small groan.
"It's low. But I understand why." President Lee stood there, uncertain and apprehensive. "How often would you be wanting me?"
"Probably around 5 times a week, at most. If we have other people who can keep an eye on them they'll be fine but you'll be the backup, and we'll call you and pay extra if they're in real danger like last time."
"Good. I'll think about it." I hang up the call, and go back to calibrating my swords. The left sword's top energy emitter had been flickering a lot recently.
(There was a subtle shift to Fixer POV, fyi)
"Thinking about going to an IVE concert while fixing a weapon. Didn't we just do this?" I laugh at myself a moment, then keep considering CEO Lee's idea. It's a decent option, but I don't know if it's worth it. I mean, I don't truly care about the money, but it would be a little odd to be a security detail, especially since they have far fewer issues compared to some groups. Then again, Blackpink was never together, and Tzuyu said she'd stab me if she saw me again so Twice is right out. Given what Chaeryeong said to me when we met, I doubt itzy wants me either. So IVE is one of the logical runner ups. There were male groups as well, but they could call the police and wouldn't get bad press like girl groups, nor would they have to fear police as much as stalkers. So maybe it would be worth it. Just, maybe.

Time skip- a few hours later.
POV: Wonyoung
We had just arrived for our next stage, Musicbank. Everything was going smoothly, as we got dressed and got our makeup and hair done. Nobody really talked much, I think we were trying to focus on getting ready. After the past few days, a return to routine was both nice, and also strange.
"You alright, Wonyoung? You seem distracted." Asked my hair stylist.
"I'm alright. Just trying to focus. I'm a little nervous."
"Well, don't worry about it. You'll do great! You always do, you know." I smile, although I know she doesn't really mean that.
"Thanks." I wait for them to finish, then stand up. "I should go check on the others." Walking over to where Gaeul and Hyunseo, they both greet me. "Are you both ready?"
"Yes Unnie!"
"Almost." I can see Gaeul needs to her her hair fixed, so I shoo her off to get it done. Taking her seat, I rest a moment beside Hyunseo.
"Unnie, do you really think that President Lee-Ssi will hire Fixer to protect us?" Ah, right. I had been trying to avoid that topic.
"I think it's possible. I don't know anyone else who would really do that." There's a small commotion outside, some shouting and someone running.
"I guess so. Do you trust him?" She seems to be getting right to the heart of it, too. I turn and grab her hands, looking into her eyes.
"I do. What about you? Do you trust him?" She thinks for a moment, then carefully says
"I think if you trust him, then I can accept him. I don't really trust him alone, but I'll trust you." I feel relieved, glad that she wouldn't be harsh towards me because of my trusting him. Even if me and Rei are the only ones who do.

Yujin comes and sits next to us, holding her phone.
"Did you see this? Apparently someone got a video of when Fixer was fighting those guys." She turns the phone, showing a slightly grainy video of what I can easily tell is Fixer, fighting the thugs. "They didn't recognize us, they think we were just a group of school girls. Apparently our disguises worked well." I'm a little surprised it worked that well, but I won't question something so helpful.
"It's kind of impressive to see, now that it's not so scary." Says Hyunseo, watching him dodge a tackle and plaster a gangster across the ground.
"I agree. I didn't realize just how fast he moves, everything felt like it was slow motion then." I nod, still watching. I feel a little guilty, Fixer had said he liked being subtle and private and here we were, making him viral. Yujin puts away the phone, and pokes me. "Still daydreaming about your boyfriend?" I slap her arm, and yell quietly.
"Ya. He's not my boyfriend, don't be absurd." It's so annoying when they tease me like that.
"He's probably not that much older than you, probably only Gaeul's age. You're close enough." I mean, yeah, but....
"Alright, let's get going! We have our performance soon!" Shouts a director, and we jump to our feet and head out the door.

POV: Fixer
My simulation suddenly stops as alarms start ringing from the intel room. Dropping my goggles and running out of the sim room, I shout "Report!" as I sprint into the screen-covered intelligence center. There, my computer reports a dozen bomb threats, such as government buildings, business centers, schools, and a few concert halls. A dozen threats is too many, though. Only a few of them can be true. The government will handle the ones at their offices, the business centers will be evacuated. The schools can be cleared, even though I doubt anyone would go so far to bomb a school lest they face major public backlash. But the concert halls catch my eye. Of the three, one is empty, one will be used later, and one is already hosting a show.
"Computer, cross reference all threats with prior filter activity monitoring." My VI responds,
"Assessing." After a moment, the monotone returns with an "affirmative." Now, I know what I have to do.
"Prep a strike package, and an exfil."

POV: Yujin
We finish off our stage, to massive applause. Gaeul's ending fairy was nice, and I think the whole performance went fairly perfect. As we leave the stage, the show's crew claps for us as well. I see some people in the back running around in a hurry, probably preparing for the next stage. As we're walking back to our dressing room, the lights suddenly start to flicker. I look up, and they stabilize. We keep going, a little off put. Rei and Liz are whispering, probably about how odd it is. Hyunseo is holding Gaeul's hand. I know she gets scared a little easily, and Gaeul doesn't. As we reach our dressing room, a few people in suits run past, looking stressed. The lights start flickering more, occasionally blacking out for a half second.
"Unnie, what's doing on?" Asks Hyunseo, and Gaeul rubs the top of her head and pulls her close.
"Shhh, I'm sure it's just a power outage issue. Don't worry, but the lights may go out." As if by magic, the lights cut out for a few seconds, and I hear Hyunseo start to whimper. Then they come back, but dimly. Our manager tells us,
"Change into your clothes to go home, we're going to leave. I don't think they're up for more. I'm going to go see what's happening." We all agree, then she slips out of the door. We quickly change, occasionally using phone flashlights for more light. Once we're dressed, nobody's returned for us, so I start taking off my makeup. The others follow, and soon we're all ready to leave. Still, nobody's come back to tell us if we should leave. After another minute, there's a loud, angry banging on the door. Five slams, then a pause, then five more slams. This repeats, until I open the door. There stands Fixer, wearing armor and carrying a large rifle.
"We're leaving. Now."