Chapter 3

Asahel was sitting at his desk when the text came in about Tom Garcetti's murder. He flexed his jaw, reading the words repeatedly. Daryl believed Garcetti had information concerning two girls that had gone missing. Normally, he stayed out of abductions and let the police handle them; but the girls were from the Sarcome group. The same group Asahel devoted his life to protecting, serving, and building into a powerful presence in the Salt Lake valley.

One lead gone, and not a single step closer to getting the girls back.

"We can't just sit here and do nothing." Elliot, his younger brother of three years was sitting in the chair in front of the big wooden desk. He fidgeted in the brown leather chair, his leg bouncing up and down anxiously. He would stand and pace, it was only a matter of seconds.

Asahel leaned back in his black leather chair, watching Elliot jump to his feet and start pacing like a caged animal. His hazel eyes flitting back to Asahel, but no ideas or suggestions left his lips, so he continued pacing.

Anyone that ever saw Asahel and Elliot together would know they were brothers, even with the different shades of hair, eye color and build. Their facial features resembled each other so closely, they've been mistaken as twins numerous times. They were nearly the same height too, with Elliot leaner and slightly taller.

Asahel smirked when Elliot grumbled, throwing his arms down and wiping his black jacket as if it were the most uncomfortable thing. He almost wanted to tell his brother to stop, but he needed to burn energy somehow. Unfortunately, there really wasn't much they could do without a full report from Daryl. With clues from the crime scene, they'd know their next step.

"Let's get some eyes on the street," he finally said. With lethal speed, Elliot was in front of the desk again, leaning his hands against it. "We have a few names and addresses; it wouldn't hurt to check 'em out."

Elliot nodded, "fine." He stood tall now, "who's all going?"

***

Disappointment. Complete and utter disappointment colored Daryl's face. With Darla the first to arrive on the scene, he seemed to fully expect her to admit to killing her father. When she didn't, Daryl's watchful eyes studied the first suspect sitting at the dining table. There was nothing reassuring in those cold, untrusting eyes.

Darla seemed to have little to no words on the murder. She also didn't mention that she'd called Max before contacting the police. A detail Max noticed as she casually flipped through her calls, keeping the screen visible to herself.

Daryl didn't question Max for very long. She had an alibi with Sean, who would be there soon with their obnoxiously awful oldest sister, Gwen. Her arrival would hopefully get Daryl out of their face, and even though they dreaded her presence, his was far more annoying.

"Interesting that you didn't even say bye to him this morning before leaving." He raised a brow at Max.

She was playing with strands of her white-blonde hair, and upon hearing the accusation in his tone, dropped her hair and looked up at him with defensive blue eyes. "Probably the thing I regret most." She simply said.

"So, you two weren't in the middle of a disagreement?" He was ready with his stupid little notebook to take notes. "I just don't understand why you'd avoid him."

"If I were you, then I'd start avoiding me." She glared up at him.

"Is that a threat Miss Garcetti?" His stupid face remained cold and calm, unfazed by her tone, "maybe the same kind of threat you gave your father last night-"

"That's absurd!" Darla snapped, hitting the table loudly. She had been sitting quietly next to Max until that moment. "Max would never."

"But you might?" He gave Darla his attention, his stupid pen ready to write. He stared down his nose at her, waiting for her confession.