Chapter 4

They were pulling onto a small city street near railroad tracks. A few bars lined the street on either side. A place Max wouldn't be welcomed and never wanted to be. People were outside drinking and soaking up the neon lights and polluted night air. They didn't seem fazed by the cop car slowly driving by.

"Wanna go in undercover?" Sean suddenly asked.

"Undercover?" Her eyes widened, "I'm underage!" She blurted.

Sean smiled at her. Why was he being so lighthearted about this? He grabbed the cap that went with his uniform. "You could wear this." He placed it on her head.

Max ripped the cap off. "Stop it!" She hissed, feeling her cheeks burn.

"Why'd you do that, you looked cute." He was turning the car around now, trying not to laugh.

"Ugh!" She rolled her eyes and Sean laughed.

"You want to prove me wrong, don't you?"

"Yes. Of course." She bit the inside of her mouth, "but I'm not wearing that. Can't we just stake out the place?"

Sean was smiling at her, a teasing kind of smile that she didn't often, if ever, receive. "Yeah, if you insist."

She leaned back in the seat, relieved and waiting for him to park the car somewhere. Her heart was beating nervously fast, and she willed it to slow down. She needed to stay focused.

"I've seen Darla go into that bar over there," Sean pointed at the one with the blue neon lights. It was on the left side of the street and surrounded by people, motorcycles, and parked cars. It wasn't a very big building, but it seemed to be able to cater to large crowds.

"Why would she go to a bar?"

"For a drink," he said passively. "To meet with criminals without suspicion."

"Stop that." Max glared at him, "she's not a criminal."

"I didn't say she was, I just said she meets with them...probably." He was leaning against the steering wheel.

When he didn't say anything else, she watched the bars again. After five minutes of nothing, she knew this would be a long night.

"We could always go in."

"No." Max grumbled and scrubbed her face. "I need some air." She opened her door. "You coming out too?"

"I'll just stay here." He looked her over, "unless you wan-"

Max shut the door before he could finish his sentence. No, she didn't want him to be outside with her. Not necessarily anyway. She just leaned against the passenger door and inhaled deeply, looking skyward. Only a few stars could be visible this low in the valley. The slight chill on her skin was enough to wake up her senses, and she looked back over at the bar with watchful eyes.