Chapter 32

Pat could lose her life for what she did, but at this point she didn't care. Things were getting out of hand now that Eric and Jordan were under so much pressure. They were running out of places to go and people to trust. Their supplies were scraps, and the bank account was running dry. What she did on the side of the highway wasn't going to help with that.

If Mia was the only woman missing, it would be too suspicious. Since Max had knocked out Charles, Pat took that opportunity to release three more women. She offered freedom to whoever was willing to wander the empty highway until someone rescued them. Three of the five women still had enough life in them to take the chance.

Once Pat couldn't see them, she kicked Charles awake. He groaned and swore, in a daze and most likely with a headache. He asked where the blonde brat had gone, and Pat fed him one lie after another. She was good at lying, which was why she ended up here. Being with these people allowed her to keep doing what she was good at, and keep her out of prison, for now.

Everyone was feeling the pressure ever since Eric told them to take the mother and daughter. He told his closest confidants about a large polygamist group, which was where they found the woman and child and some of the other young girls. Why them? Pat didn't know, but she was sure that Eric knew more than he was letting on.

Jordan was already being haunted in his sleep by Max. He'd wake up in a cold sweat, his hands clasping his throat as if it had been slit. Pat would watch him from the other side of the bed, seeing how paranoid he was and how the stress of his youngest sister finding and catching him made him more anxious each day. He started double dosing his drugs, smoking again, killing without reason, using the girls and women they'd taken for human trafficking. Using Pat. Anything to ease his stress and anxiety, even if it was only for a few minutes.

It didn't help when Mia and her daughter came into the picture. Not only were the police already hot on their trail, sniffing out clues left behind by Darla and their dead cop father, now some private army from a polygamist group was after them. And somehow, Max was in the middle of it all.

Pat knew it was only a matter of time before this life would come crumbling to the ground. It was never this bad when Darla was around, and now that she wasn't there, Pat didn't want to be there either. Unless of course she kept running into Max. When Darla was killed, Pat had promised her that she'd watch out for her sister. With an army behind her, Max didn't need any protection from Pat.

She couldn't tell Max everything, but she could drop clues. Hopefully Max was smart enough to catch them and do something with it. Pat wouldn't care to die now, but she wanted to ride this out to see how it all ended.

>>>>>***<<<<<