Chapter 38

Thump. Da-dum. Thump. Da-dum.

Asahel's stuttering heart drowned out all noise and music around him as he watched Max take graceful, purposeful steps in those stiletto heels, coming his way. He unintentionally gulped, taking her in from head to toe and appreciating the lengthy view of her toned legs. Her skin looked soft, and he let himself imagine for only a second what it would feel like to caress those legs she had so shamelessly on display. He flexed his palms, starting to feel warm and now grateful that he wore his gray button-down shirt without a jacket and had the sleeves already rolled up.

He'd never seen anyone so flawlessly beautiful. Max was like a porcelain doll that might shatter if someone bumped into her and knocked her over. Rick walked right beside her, careful not to brush his arm against hers. His face wearing that ever familiar satisfied smirk and Asahel knew how dumbfounded he must've looked. He tried straightening up, even rolling his eyes and forced his lungs to breathe shallow, calm breaths. His body acted as though he'd plunged himself into cold water, even though his temperature was steadily rising.

"Thank you for the dance, Max." Rick said coolly, and she nodded a thanks before he smirked wickedly at Asahel and then walked away casually. Asahel was grateful he didn't stick around and hang on their shoulders only to make some stupid comment about them being together.

The silence among the brothers made Max study each of them with concern, "is something wrong?" She asked nervously, slightly turning to look behind her, revealing the stringy straps across her bare back.

A raging hot chill electrified down Asahel's spine, and he locked his knees to keep himself from falling to the floor. Her skin was so flawless, bare, and vulnerable. Her white curls dancing across her skin, and shoulders; enticing him to touch her, twirl her hair around his fingers, reveal the back of her neck and kiss her skin.

He swallowed before tightly clenching his jaw, willing his body to remain under control. This was neither the time nor place to get so worked up. There were way too many people around, including women and girls who were always watching him. The thought of them helped him settle before his body could make a fool out of him.

"Um..." Francis closed his mouth and shook his head vigorously. He had to turn away to keep himself from saying anything. Wade and Crow looked away as well, pretending they were just scanning the crowd for someone suspicious.

She'd left them all speechless. Asahel included. He realized he hadn't said anything. Concern was slowly turning into embarrassment, darkening her blue eyes.

"Oquirrh said it would be a formal affair." Max looked around. Her fingertips nervously grazed the hem of her short dress, and for a moment Asahel wondered just how soft that silk would feel against his own fingers. Was there something just as soft beneath that thin fabric?

He pursed his lips, blinking to break out of his trance. He finally took in a much-needed deep breath, hoping oxygen would get back to his brain and he could start thinking clearly again. "You look perfect." He couldn't even fake a smile or hide it if he tried. He was too entranced.

Max blushed with relief, bringing a rosy glow to her cheeks. Asahel had to rip his gaze from her to stop feeling anything. He had to remember why they were there in the first place, even though he did ask her to go to the banquet for him. Now, he couldn't believe he'd made such a request.

He cleared his dry throat, "you would recognize Sean if you saw him, right?" He looked back at her, hoping she'd heard him but not the straining of his voice as he tried to hang onto his composure. Every second felt like he was mentally whipping himself to stay focused.

"Yeah, he has kind of long black hair and bit of a pointy face. I've never seen him with facial hair. I doubt he'd be wearing his uniform if he were here..." Max looked around now, slightly dropping her shoulders. "There's a lot of people here." That was an understatement. "We might have to move around to really find him." She studied the strangers around her.