Chapter 27

Nicky parted the blinds with her fingers to peek out the window. Asahel's car was still there, and they were still gone.

"What are you doing?" Jane's deep, sleepy aged voice made her jump.

"Oh, Jane!" Nicky quickly turned around, wearing her long black nightgown. "Don't sneak up on me like that."

"I wasn't sneaking." Jane got herself something to eat. She was still in her night clothes too. Some warm blue pants and matching loose shirt.

Nicky sighed before peeking out the window one more time. No change. So, she joined her sister in the kitchen.

"It's nearly two in the morning and they haven't returned." She said as she sat at the table.

"They're not teenagers. I'm sure they're fine." Jane either really wasn't worried, or she was too tired to worry.

"France said it was a date. I've never known Asahel to keep a girl out for more than two hours."

Jane laughed at her younger sister, "he's not a little boy, and he's not living under our roof. You should stop worrying."

Nicky was biting her lip now. She couldn't stop worrying. She wasn't worried that they were hurt or in trouble. She was worried that Asahel had actually found someone that he'd like to touch, kiss and-

"Can we trust Max though? Did you see how she was dressed?"

"I've seen girls dress worse than that at church." Jane slid a plate of fruit and toast to Nicky. "I think if Max tried to do anything, Asahel would shut her down."

Nicky sighed worriedly, "I'd like to think he would too, but he was so spellbound by her. I just..." She sighed and grabbed a red grape, "worry about him sometimes."

"He's in line to take France's place," Jane reminded her. "I don't think he'd do anything to jeopardize that."

"Then why am I so worried?" Nicky looked at her toast.

"Probably because he hasn't talked to you about her because he doesn't even realize he's falling for her."

***

At one of the Sarcome buildings, Asahel was dragging Amos in with Max close behind. He'd woken up when they pulled into the parking lot, enraged, and scared. He swore at Max until Asahel pulled him out of the car. He dragged his feet, making it as difficult as he could for Asahel, who was much bigger and stronger.

With the use of a card key, Asahel let them inside and they walked into a dark lobby. Some of the lights were on so it wasn't pitch black, but it was obvious they were closed. People were there though, and Asahel knew where to find them.

He led Max to a separate room with a couple of black chairs and a black loveseat. A tv was on the wall and a coffee table in front of the loveseat. The lights were soft, the tv was off and everything was silent.

"Wait here," he pointed at the loveseat, "and please don't go anywhere."

Max yawned and scratched her head beneath her white-blonde hair. "I'm not really in the mood to get lost in this massive building." She assured him. "How long will you be?"

"Give me twenty-thirty minutes, okay?" He looked at her. He didn't want her to lose the high she was on, but he could see her getting tired.

He slammed Amos into the wall before throwing him on his knees and telling him not to move. New and dry blood was all over his face, and his body was too sore to move if he tried. He watched Max and Asahel with frantic eyes.

Asahel opened a standing cabinet and pulled out a sheet, "if you're tired then rest on the loveseat." He turned to face Max, "use this if you get cold." He said, looking down at her legs and then back up to her face.