Chapter 18: From Good to Worst I

Albus Dumbledore had always prided himself to be able to anticipate future situations and make back up plans for anything and everything. Hence, today, as he sat in his office at midnight reminiscing about the last two days, he could not believe how everything had gone from good to worse, and furthermore, how he had not anticipated such an event and prepare for it.

He remembered getting a letter from Amelia Bones to arrange a meeting with the Founders and also remembered the sword fighting between Salazar and Godric. If things had not been interesting enough, the events that took place from that point onwards were fascinating.

He remembered how Rowena Ravenclaw, Helga Hufflepuff and Godric Gryffindor (the three supposedly light founders) had jumped to protect Salazar Slytherin and had revealed that it was Salazar who was a King and had introduced laws to educate girls and established the Ministry of Magic. This revelation had raised multiple questions. For one, If Salazar was the last king of Wizarding Britain, wouldn't that fact warrant more of a mention? Wouldn't his family, his siblings, his children, cousins, aunts, uncles ... anyone and everyone who could prove a blood relation to the man want to try and establish themselves as the monarch if he stepped down?

He gave up power, that was all well and good, but that doesn't mean that people are not going to let that go! If he has given so many liberties, then surely he would be seen in a more positive light!

Dumbledore was unhappy. A very large chunk of history was missing! How did no one know that Salazar had founded the Ministry of Magic or that he had made so many laws?

So when the four founders were seated in his office, he had politely asked them for an explanation; he once again reviewed Lord Gryffindor's reply in his Pensieve.

"Headmaster, I understand that you have many questions for us after our little revelation and I can assure you that we will be glad to answer them all in detail. However, that story, as I am sure you can guess, is a long tale. It will take a lot of time and will be hard for us to retell, as I am sure you can understand. Hence I would prefer it if we can have that conversation after our meeting with the Minister tomorrow. I think that at this moment, that meeting is higher up on our agenda. Wouldn't you agree?"

'Long' and 'hard to tell' … those words used by Lord Gryffindor, reverberated in Dumbledore's mind. Whilst he had some idea that history had not portrayed Salazar Slytherin accurately, he had never, in his wildest dreams, foreseen this.

Continuing with his reviewing of the situations the headmaster remembered telling the founders all the information he had on the war, the role of Ministry and the Minister of Magic herself.

He had begun by explaining the Ministry's very much active role in the on-going war. He had explained that whilst the ministry was fighting against Voldemort, they had no way to predict the place of the next attack or identify any of the followers. The Dark Lord had his own spies inside the ministry but the ministry has so far been unable to return the favour. He also explained that the Order of the Phoenix was a Ministry recognised group to aid the Ministry Aurors in defending against Death Eaters.

Dumbledore had gone further to explain the character of the current Minister of Magic. He gave them a brief overview of her predecessor, Cornelius Fudge, a minister who had lasted all of one month after a vote of no confidence was passed by the Wizengamot once his incompetence and corrupt nature came to light. Then he told them of Amelia Bones' indomitable will, her passion for justice and no-nonsense attitude.

The founders had not said a word during this explanation but had looked pleased about something that he could not put his finger on. However he let it slide figuring that it might be something related to the universe they came from.