Chapter 23: A trip to the Forest

Soon Salazar and his group found themselves in the same hospital wing of the Chamber of Secrets. Salazar did not allow anyone to enter his private potions chamber. He soon returned with a short list of things to get from the forest.

It turned out that Salazar was correct in his assumption that they would only require unicorn tail hair and some basic potion ingredients such as Boomslang skin, cinnamon, and porcupine quill Severus was able to supply most of them from his store, and hence the only thing required from the forest was the unicorn tail hair.

It was decided that all of them will go to the forest for that.

After walking for half an hour, Salazar, who was walking on the side, was poked in the back by something sharp.

"Greetings, Eldest One" Salazar said turning around.

Hearing Salazar speak, the others too turned around and were left speechless at the sight of a pure silver unicorn, looking at Salazar with eyes full of wisdom.

"Greetings, Serpent King! Welcome to this new time. I can sense that you are seeking us, how can I help you"

As the unicorn spoke in a soft musical voice, the group from the present was stunned. They had never seen a unicorn coming so close to a male, let alone hear a unicorn speak to a human. Unicorns were known to be shy of humans and more so of males.

But they were brought back from their thoughts by Salazar's voice.

"I salute your ability to sense these sorts of things. It feels great to be able to talk to you once more, Eldest One. Are the other Elders well?"

"Yes, Serpent King, the Elders and our generations have flourished in the forest you provided for us, and we will always be grateful to you for that."

"It was only my duty, but I am humbled by your kindness nevertheless. You must know that an evil wizard has risen in recent times"

"Yes, we are aware of that, Serpent King."

"We are planning to destroy him, to restore peace in the world, but we need your help to do so. We are here to seek your aid, Eldest One"

"We are always ready to help you, Serpent King. Tell us, what would you require for your latest potion?"

"We require but a solitary hair from your tail."

The Unicorn nodded and turning around, allowed Salazar to pluck a single strand of hair from its tail.

"May this strand bear its share of the burden to slay the monster that roams freely on these lands." It intoned solemnly.

"Thank you, Eldest One. Do give my warmest regards to everyone."

"Sure, Serpent King, May the world not misunderstand you or your achievements again."

Saying so the unicorn disappeared faster than the speed of light, leaving behind four awestruck people

"Shall we head back to the castle now?" Salazar said as if nothing out of ordinary had just happened.

This broke his companions' stupor.

"I never knew that Unicorns spoke English" Lily said timidly as they followed Salazar through the forest. They were stopping every few moments, so that either Salazar or Helga could collect some or other plant.

"Unicorns are very wise creatures; they understand any language and can respond accordingly. However, they do not exhibit this ability to anyone who they deem untrustworthy. They have excellent sense. They can see anyone's aura and can know the character of any that they encounter. This is the reason they are considered to be epitome of purity, as they will run away from anyone they deem is evil." Salazar explained