14- Savagery

"I just want to talk. Conflict isn't necessary to solve Eldia's problems" Eren says calmly, "Hange and the others are fine. We're just moving them".

"Eren. We're the ones that wanted to talk" Armin says as he looks at Eren, "what made you go attack Marley all on your own? Did Zeke and Yelena really talk you into joining them?".

"I am free" Eren says as he looks down, "the things I do and the choices I make are all decided by my own free will".

"So your actions after meeting Yelena were all you?" Armin asks confused.

"Yes" Eren says simply.

"No. You're being manipulated" Mikasa says as she holds her scarf, "you wouldn't get kids and innocents involved, even if they were enemies! Plus, I know you care about us more than anyone! Don't you? The reason you saved me in the cabin... the reason you gave me this scarf... is because you're kind-".

"I said, 'keep your hands on the table'" Eren says as he glares at Mikasa, "I spoke with Zeke and Evelyn in Liberio. A little sibling chat. Though, Evelyn didn't want to be chatty with Zeke. She mostly just wanted to kill him. I don't blame her. Zeke knows more about titans even more than Marley does. Armin, aren't you still visiting Annie? Do you think that's your own free will?".

"What? Armin asks in shock.

"If memories are what shape people, a part of you is Bertolt now" Eren says as he looks at Armin, "within you is an enemy with feelings for another enemy. Armin... Bertolt has gotten into your head. You're the one manipulated by the enemy".

"Eren, what are-?" Mikasa asks angrily.

"You, too, Mikasa" Eren says as he interrupts Mikasa, "the Ackermanns were intentionally designed to protect Eldia's King. Back then, faced with a life or death situation, you heard my order: 'fight'. In that moment, instincts awoke from within you. By mistake, you thought I was the host you had to protect".

"No..." Mikasa says softly.

"No? No what?" Eren asks.

"It wasn't... a mistake" Mikasa says as she looks down, "it's because it was you, Eren! I became strong because of you!".

"Ackermanns with awakened powers apparently get sudden headaches" Eren says calmly, "it happens when their old self resists being forced to protect their host. Sound familiar? I'm saying... your family was made to forget who they are and live only to protect. In other words, slaves".

"Enough, Eren!" Armin yells as he realises how upset Mikasa is becoming.

"Do you know who I hate more than anyone?" Eren asks as he starts to become angry, "those who aren't free. Just like livestock. Just seeing you has always pissed me off so much, and finally I know why. I can't stand the sight of a slave who obeys orders without question. Ever since I was little... Mikasa, I've hated you".

"Eren, how could you say that to-?" Armin yells as he climbs across the table and goes to punch Eren but Mikasa grabs him, forcing his head down onto the table, "Mikasa?".

"Your entire life has been dictated by your Ackermann blood" Eren says as he looks at the two of them.

"No!" Mikasa says as she lets go of Armin.

"It's all you really are" Eren says harshly.

Armin finishes what he started as he punches Eren in the face, the table toppling over as the two of them fall to the ground. Eren and Armin get up as Armin goes to punch Eren but he dodges, only for Eren to punch him in the jaw. Eren grabs him by his collar and throws him into the wine cabinet behind him.