25- Night of the End

--- inside Jean's dream ---

My house will be in a prime interior neighbourhood. Night and day, I'll sip on the finest liquor. I won't care what anyone says. My wife, kids and even my grandkids deserve a bit of the good life, too.

--- end of Jean's dream, the night before he, Yelena and Onyankopon were snatched ---

"Jean, it's me" Hange says as they knock on the window of the Scouts' holding cell, "I'm waiting outside".

I didn't notice that. I didn't hear anything. Don't go. Don't think. If I stay put, that prime spot in the interior is mine. If I stay...

Jean says as he covers his ears. He thinks it over a few more times before deciding to go outside, only noticing that Mikasa is there too.

"Thanks for coming, Jean" Hange says as they spot Jean coming out of the building, "Mikasa filled me in on the situation. I'm sorry I wasn't around. You've done a good job holding out until now, you two. Levi's in bad shape, but alive. He won't be fighting anytime soon. We've joined forces with some stragglers from Marley, including the Cart titan. All to stop Eren. Genocide is wrong".

"How will you stop him?" Mikasa asks as she looks at Hange.

"First, we need more allies. Our options depend on who we can get" Hange says as they all sit down amongst the rubble, "but we can't do anything without you guys and more of the nine. And we need Evelyn too. Where is she?".

"Conny took off with Falco who inherited the Jaw titan so she went after him with Gabi" Jean explains as he twiddles his thumbs, "she made Armin go and get her Mother from Wall Rose for some reason, he set off a few hours ago. She told us to meet back up with you and Levi and that she'd come back with Conny, Gabi, Falco and Reiner".

"Okay, good. We can get more of the nine titans alongside our plan" Hange says with an impressed smile, "the old military has fallen apart, so I'm no longer your superior, but I'm asking--".

"I'll do it" Mikasa says without hesitation, "I won't let Eren kill any more than he already has. I have to stop him, even if he's doing it to protect us and the island".

"Mikasa..." Hange says softly.

"Supposing we stop Eren, what then?" Jean asks as he looks at Hange, "he only had four more years as the Founding titan. What will happen after that? If we continue to be the target of the world's hatred for years to come, stopping Eren means our island will be destroyed".

"The way I see it, Marley thinks we'll use the rumbling as soon as we're attacked" Hange explains as they looks at Jean, "I think they'll leave us alone, at least for the time being".

"'If we don't destroyed the island for good, who knows when they'll destroy us'" Jean quotes, "it'll stir up the world more than Willy Tybur's speech".

"You're probably right, but it should buy the island at least a few more years" Hange says as they look down.

"We've already wasted years looking for answers, and it got us nowhere!" Jean says angrily.

"Genocide is wrong!" Hange says as they throw their fist down on the ground, "I'll be damned before we justify it somehow! Sorry for raising my voice. Jean's right. My dumb, wishful thinking dragged Eren into this. And despite all my yapping, I ran away from the problem. Wanting to forget everything... just wanting to live... but I'm still Commander of the Scouts. It feels like those who gave their hearts for humanity's freedom are watching me. Most of them died without even knowing humanity existed outside of the walls. Yet, I'm sure none of them would be so self centred as to say: 'as long as the island has freedom, that's all that matters'. Our only chance to stop the slaughter... is now".