20- Memories of the Future

--- the year of 835 ---

"Is he here? Did you give birth, Mother?" Evelyn asks as she runs into the room.

"He's in his cot. He just woke up in time to see you" Carla says as Evelyn drops her school bags.

Evelyn runs to the cot in the middle of the room as she peers over at her baby brother Eren who reaches up to her.

"Sit on the bed Evelyn. You can hold him that way" Grisha says as he comes into the room after picking Evelyn up from school.

"Okay" Evelyn says as she rushes onto the bed where Carla is.

Evelyn sits down next to Carla as Grisha places Eren in Evelyn's arms.

"He's so perfect!" Evelyn exclaims as Eren beams up at her, "did you decide a name?".

"Eren" Grisha says as he sits on the edge of the bed.

"I love it! He's so adorable. Hi Eren. My name's Evelyn. I'm your big sister. I'm always going to protect you" Evelyn says as she holds Eren closer to her as he tugs on the end of her hair.

"These are... Dad's memories" Eren says as he, Evelyn and Zeke watch young Evelyn.

"He sure looks happy" Zeke says jealously, "for someone who cast his family and friends into hell, that is".

"I was so happy that day. All my thoughts of you left my mind, Zeke. All I thought was of Eren in this moment" Evelyn says with a soft smile.

"Why show me this?" Eren asks Zeke.

"So that you understand" Zeke says calmly, "how Grisha Jaeger brainwashed and planted the seeds of nationalism in the two of you. I show you as much as it takes" he says as he walks to the door, "must be nice, Grisha. Here, you can live out a happy life without anyone to chastise you for forgetting your first family... even if you forgot about the son you already had. Let's go".

They make it outside as they watch Eren walk towards their Father, chasing after a butterfly as well.

"Next one" Zeke says as he walks away.

They walk through town and make it to their Father's old office where he treated his patients.

"Look, you two. This is the true him" Zeke says as the three of them watch Grisha through the window of his office, "he used to use his job as a doctor to get close to those in power-- to hunt down the King and steal the Founding titan. If he slipped up, his wife, daughter and son would suffer. But he continued nevertheless. Do you know why?".

"Because he's an asshole who'd toss his family into a ditch to restore Eldia" Eren says as he looks directly as Grisha, "I get it now. I was wrong. I never should have been born. I'm no longer brainwashed".

"We have all the time in the world. No need to rush" Zeke says as he looks at Eren.

Eren and Evelyn both look at each other as they nod, going after Zeke. They continue to watch as Grisha, Carla, Evelyn and Eren have dinner, Evelyn takes Eren to meet Hannes for the first time as Hannes dangles a bottle of wine in front of Eren's face as Eren reaches out for it. Grisha helping out Kenny Ackermann as well, unbeknownst to Evelyn who is in shock. The next memories shows Grisha going to the church where the Reiss family hid out.

"You're kidding. He tracked it down this soon?" Eren asks in disbelief.

"What is this place?" Zeke asks as he looks at Eren.

"The King of the walls' hideout" Evelyn says calmly.

"That can't be" Zeke says in disbelief, "Grisha stole the Founding titan the day the walls fell. That's years from now".