28- The Dawn of Humanity

--- the year of 853, early in the year ---

Everyone says Eren has changed. I've thought that too. But... maybe all of us are wrong. Maybe Eren was this way from the start. And if this is the real him... I... I wonder what I saw in him...

"There are really cities full of people outside of the walls..." Conny says as he looks around at all of the people as the boat pulls into Marley.

"Don't talk about the walls in public" Jean says under his breath.

"The world outside the walls..." Sasha says, overwhelmed by everything, "and we're the first people from inside to step foot in it.

"Did you not hear me?" Jean asks angrily.

"You could say this expedition takes us back to our first original mission" Hange says as they take in the views, "let's go scout".

They make it off of the ship and into the town as everyone looks around in shock as Eren and Evelyn stand there normally, the two of them having seen it all before.

"Welcome to the continent of Marley! I'll guide you to the Azumabito estate!" Onyankopon says as he walks over.

"Onyankopon!" Hange says happily as they wave at him.

"I'm glad you all made it! What do you think of Marley's biggest port?" Onyankopon asks as he puts his arms out.

"What--? That horse! Or... is it? Huh?!" Conny asks as a car drives past them all.

"It's some sort of cow. It had to be!" Sasha says in shock.

"It's a car! Evelyn told me about them" Hange says as they try to control their excitement, "hello there, car!".

"People are staring" Armin says as he starts to get embarrassed.

"They think we're bumpkins now" Jean says as he looks down, "pretend we're not with them".

"If we don't stop them, they'll try to feed it carrots" Evelyn says as she watches Hange, Sasha and Conny run after the car.

"I don't think they'd... oh my god, they're buying carrots" Onyankopon says as he comes over to Levi and Evelyn.

"So many people... Eren, we don't know what to expect so stay close to me" Mikasa says as she comes over to Eren who looks around, "Eren?".

"Right" Eren says as he looks at Mikasa.

"Quit spacing out, Eren! We're in the outside world!" Armin says as he walks over.

"Yeah... this is the other side of the sea... isn't it?" Eren says as he looks around some more.

"Hey! Stick with the group. Especially you two" Levi says as he comes over to the three of them.

"Be right there!" Armin says happily.

"I'd like one, please" Sasha says as she stands in front of an ice cream cart.

"Sure thing!" the seller says with a smile, "here you are".

"Jeez, Sasha. Not again" Jean says as he and Conny come over.

"This is flipping cold!" Sasha says as she takes a lick of the ice cream.

"Let me try!" Conny says as he looks at her.

"Is it your first time trying ice cream?" the seller asks with a chuckle.

"Whoa! The hell?" Conny says as he takes a lick as well.

"That done hit the spot!" Sasha says excitedly.