chapter 19

chenle awkwardly stood there, unsure of what to do.

the girl on the bed he was standing next to still had her eyes closed, and he was actually wondering if she had been sleep-talking.

of course not, stupid. she responded to what you said.

why would she even want him to stay? sure, a lot had happened, and it was very likely to get nightmares after experiences like the one daiyu had made earlier that day — or rather the day before.

but the nurse would be staying in the room with her, she had no need to worry about being alone.

chenle wondered what other side effects her medicine might have.

"if that's what she wants, and if you're alright with it of course, you can stay here. i can tell your teachers that you wont be in class tomorrow."

he paused for a moment, thinking about the pros and cons the situation held.

"fine. i guess it wont hurt to stay a little longer."

a content smile made its way on daiyu's features.

and just as chenle wanted to ask the nurse if he could sit somewhere, daiyu solved that problem by pulling her arm — which was still holding on to his — closer to herself, basically forcing him to sit down on the bed, right next to were she was laying.

he stared at her dumbstruck, but the girl seemed beyond unbothered as she held onto his hand, and continued to rest.

his gaze shifted to the nurse who was — for some reason — still in the room.

"it's the medicine. though it manifests differently on everyone, this is definitely not a reaction i haven't seen before."

she walked over to the supply closet, taking out a packet of orange pills and placed them on daiyu's bedside table. those were probably for the following morning.

while doing that, she started talking to chenle.

"you know, i was pretty surprised when you walked in here with the others."

that took hom by surprise.

"so you've seen it."

he stated.

"everyone has."

not feeling like giving her an answer, he just sat there and tried to wriggle his hand out of daiyu's firm grip.

what the hell?! why is this girl so strong?

"so tell me; why did you decide to help someone who wronged you? is she perhaps... special?"

the boy scoffed.

"it's called human decency. and guilt. but i suppose a witch would feel neither of those."

was it a harsh thing to say? yes, definitely. but chenle was not gonna deal with someone talking about that damn chemistry vlog.

after he said that, the young woman went quiet.

wow, i must have been pretty accurate then.

chenle had thought that witches were able to feel normal human emotions too.

he watched as she stood there, hands in the pockets of the apron she was wearing, and staring out of the window.

"can you tell me what exactly happened back there? when you found her, i mean?"

actually, chenle would be lying if he said he didn't hesitate a little before answering.

would daiyu want this?