chapter 71

"chenle, these aren't blood shifters!"

chenle nodded, as he kept running and dragging her along with him.

he could've come to that conclusion too. they hadn't left the three men's field of view even once, so they would've definitely used their blood shifting abilities by now.

"yeah, well, they're still running after us, so i don't think we should slow down!"

and daiyu couldn't have agreed more.

but they had been running for a good five minutes now, and were starting to lose speed.

the men behind them seemed to have taken notice of that too, as they gave their all for one last time and finally caught up to them, throwing them both to the ground in an attempt to hold on to their arms.

with the strenght they had left, daiyu and chenle got back up to their feet.

but the three men didn't find that funny at all.

two of them charged at chenle, leaving daiyu to deal with the one left.

and so, she threw herself onto him, ramming her knee into the man's face that she was holding down with both of her hands.

they were weaker than she had expected, but still quite tough.

if her suspicious we're right, they had merely been hired by sanguinaria canadensis to do the dirty work and everything that they didn't necessarily didn't have to attend themselves.

but even with a broken nose, the guy wasn't about to give up.

he moved fast, that was something she couldn't lie about, and once she saw her get distracted while checking on chenle, he took his chance to land a pretty good punch to her side.

'fucking hell!'

she dropped to her knees, holding her side in pain.

"chenle!"

a few metres away, despite her blurry vision, she could see him throw punches at a man he was sitting on, while also trying to shake off the one on his back.

if his hands were occupied, her plan wouldn't work.

daiyu grabbed a hold of the leg of the man standing in front of her, dragging him to the ground with her and kicking him in the stomach to make sure he stayed there for a while.

her heart was beating much faster than it ever had.

faster than when chenle had kissed her, and faster than when she had been attacked by the blood shifter.

adrenaline was cursing through her veins as she pushed a man off of chenle.

"can air shifters throw around stuff like balls of air or some shit? like compressed air?"

her words were rushed, and she really hoped he knew what she meant, because she was certain she had seen someone do it in training before.

"yeah, i think i can. why?"

he wasn't able to look at her though — the man under him seemed indefatigable.

"into the water, please. make it splash toward us!"

they were running out of time. the guy she had been fighting first was now starting to get up again, groaning.

daiyu didn't care if the men could hear her and figure out what she was trying to do either. it wasn't like they would be able to stop them.

"daiyu, that's dangerous as hell."

the girl just barely managed to dodge a punch by rolling over closer to him.

"just do it! do you want us to die here?"

"we might as well if the water hits us too!"

another kick to the gut made the man who had managed to stand up drop right back to the ground.

chenle shook his head in disbelief and turned his upper body to the river, still sitting on one of the men — of who they had yet to find out why they were after them — , but daiyu was taking care of him for now.

a giant ball of what looked like nothing — well, it was air, i guess — appeared by chenle's outstretched palms, getting even bigger by the second.

he took one last look at daiyu, sending the ball flying into the water.

just like daiyu had wanted, an insane load of water came splashing in their direction.

"daiyu!"

he didn't know when she had gotten up to stand next to him, but there she was.

flashes of electricity hit the water, and the next thing he knew, he was rolling over the grass with daiyu's arms around him.

screams could be heard from the spot by the riverbank they had left behind just in time, and then the men went quiet.

"it worked, didn't it?"

if someone had told chenle half a year ago that he'd be laying in the grass by a river, zhao daiyu in his arms, right after having helped her electrocute someone, he would've definitely had a good laugh.

but now that he was experiencing it, he wouldn't want to change a thing.

a hearty laugh left his chest, everything he was feeling bubbling out of him.

"you're insane!"

he buried his head into her shoulder, and he could hear her joining his laughter.

"honestly — what the fuck just happened?"

daiyu slightly pulled away from him, sitting up.

"don't ask me, i haven't processed shit. i'll probably forget everything before i do. why couldn't you just do the job with your little lightning flashes alone?"

his grin was way too wide considering what the pair had just done.

"it's far more effective with water."

"ahh, alright. i should call eunji now though, right?"

"yeah, you do that."

laying back down on the grass daiyu relaxed her muscles.

she was used to physical exertion because of the training they underwent at NSOE, but belive me when i tell you that running when your life is actually in danger (and i don't mean being late to chemistry class) is a whole different kind of exercise.

as she closed her eyes, chenle's voice was basically being blended out .

the last thing daiyu could remember was feeling him lay back down next to her, and then she passed out.

__________________________________

idk how to write fighting scenes help-

but what if seonwoo woke up on the bridge